Joseph Kuosac easy wheel install questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekjk

Regular
Hello everyone ! This is my first post here and im very excited to say i will be getting my first folding bike next month, a Brompton M3R in raw lacquer. Anyway, ive ordered a few upgrades in the meantime while waiting for it. One of them being the Joseph Kuosac easy wheels for it(4, rack version). Anyway, i just got them in and like ive seen before online they come with all kinds of washers and hardware etc. No instructions though. Any idea in general what goes where? Thanks!

theloafer

Legendary Member

Tenkaykev

Guru
Hello everyone ! This is my first post here and im very excited to say i will be getting my first folding bike next month, a Brompton M3R in raw lacquer. Anyway, ive ordered a few upgrades in the meantime while waiting for it. One of them being the Joseph Kuosac easy wheels for it(4, rack version). Anyway, i just got them in and like ive seen before online they come with all kinds of washers and hardware etc. No instructions though. Any idea in general what goes where? Thanks!

Hello,

Welcome to the forums, I've found the people here to be a friendly bunch.
I think that the Raw Lacquer looks gorgeous, I'm sure that you will be delighted with the new bike.
With regard to the easy wheels, I've upgraded the wheels on mine, one bike has the Brompton upgrade, the other has lightweight Fleabay sourced wheels, but not Joseph Kuosac though I would expect the process to be similar.
If you have four wheels then the remaining hardware should match in some respect, 4 new bolts plus usually 2 washers per wheel which go1 each side of the wheel. It's a good idea to put a bit of blue thread
lock on the threads to prevent loosening due to vibration. If you don't have thread lock then a dab of nail varnish ( on the threads ) should do the trick.

If the above doesn't make sense then perhaps a photo would help us to identify the process.

OP
OP
G

greekjk

Regular
Hello,

Welcome to the forums, I've found the people here to be a friendly bunch.
I think that the Raw Lacquer looks gorgeous, I'm sure that you will be delighted with the new bike.
With regard to the easy wheels, I've upgraded the wheels on mine, one bike has the Brompton upgrade, the other has lightweight Fleabay sourced wheels, but not Joseph Kuosac though I would expect the process to be similar.
If you have four wheels then the remaining hardware should match in some respect, 4 new bolts plus usually 2 washers per wheel which go1 each side of the wheel. It's a good idea to put a bit of blue thread
lock on the threads to prevent loosening due to vibration. If you don't have thread lock then a dab of nail varnish ( on the threads ) should do the trick.

If the above doesn't make sense then perhaps a photo would help us to identify the process.

Thank you very much for the reply. You know its funny with the color because i was originally gonna bet black or the graphite(which seems to be not available right now). Anyway, looking at them i wasn't crazy that they were all a matte type of finish. I like gloss and its also more durable against scuffs and in general to me adds a look that should be on something that's expensive etc. So i said you know you cant beat the raw metal finish with gloss over it haha! Cracked me up that the bare metal one had a gloss clear lol. Im just hoping all the washers in the easy wheel package arent really mandatory to work just more of a universal bag of hardware, Ill find out when i get it! Thanks again

OP
OP
G

greekjk

Regular
there is a video on youtube by brilliant bikes which will give you a good idea of how to place spacers etc on eazy wheels
Thank you. Yes i did see the video from them, helps a little just really no explanation who so many washers ya know. I wish they just had some nice spacers , be easier to deal with and look a little more pro.

Gunk

Guru
Just try a bit of trial and error, the Brompton eazy wheels come with three washers per wheel, I put two behind and one in front of the wheel. They seem to spin freely

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thank you. Yes i did see the video from them, helps a little just really no explanation who so many washers ya know. I wish they just had some nice spacers , be easier to deal with and look a little more pro.

Yes, that's the thing about owning a Brompton, some excellent design and engineering coupled with a bit of Heath Robinson componentry.
I quite like the quirkiness of it all, plus there's an aftermarket of bling and titanium parts to satisfy the upgrade / tinkering aficionados 👍

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just try a bit of trial and error, the Brompton eazy wheels come with three washers per wheel, I put two behind and one in front of the wheel. They seem to spin freely

Ha! Great minds and all that 😁

Gunk

Guru
Yes, that's the thing about owning a Brompton, some excellent design and engineering coupled with a bit of Heath Robinson componentry.
I quite like the quirkiness of it all, plus there's an aftermarket of bling and titanium parts to satisfy the upgrade / tinkering aficionados 👍

they’re a typical English old fashioned, eccentric piece of engineering, that’s why I like them so much.

OP
OP
G

greekjk

Regular
Yep thanks. Just looking at it im guessing its pretty much space things til they work and spin freely.

OP
OP
G

greekjk

Regular
Yep! I know ill be buying tons more goodies for it since i cant leave things alone. I love British motorcycles as well and own an Enfield so im fully aware of the British charm and quirkiness that makes them so special! Cant wait to get it , supposed to be around late June ETA

Top Bottom