Judder Judder, how can I stop the front juddering under braking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattsccm

I does seem to be an adjustment thing. My tricross came with crap V's on and the first thing I did was stick some Cantis on. Only old LX things but no issue. Steering column mounted hanger. Long straddle wire. I use long pads coz they were free. no issues except the fork is horrid. So flaming stiff it transmitts every bump. anyone want to swap for a nice steel disc one?

iGaz

I ride a Dolan CX with Alpina carbon forks, Avid shorty 4's and Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheels for offroad and Mavic Aksium Race take care of road duties. I have cheap nasty BBB brake pads and a Zoom head set mounted cable hanger. Brake levers are Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed ergo's with Tektro crosstops.

Believe it or not, I don't have any judderyness at all and very good brakes, must be lucky!! :sad:

peanut

ntvinh986 said:
Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

welcome ntvinh986.... nice catchy name that ;)

You might get more response if you post this message in the new members section 'Welcome Mat' rather than cyclo-cross.
In the mean time if you have any cyclo-cross specific issues here is the place to post about them. :biggrin:

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
p3k4y said:
...is there any chance you could post a photo here of the fitted hanger....?
’looks like this when fitted‘. The 'Uphanger' is distributed by 'Fisher Outdoor Leisure', a supplier who have accounts with the majority of UK bike shops, so should be readily available.

fooeynet said:
Anyone else notice that Specialized is now selling a front fork hanger themselves? I haven't seen it yet...

I can confirm that the current Specialized Tricross does has their own version of an http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2775/4417830860_fa46df2f06_o.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2775/4417830860_fa46df2f06_o.jpg'Uphanger'

What Chris Juden, the technical editor of the 'CTC' had to say about reducing brake resonance with this set up “The main cause of this problem is flex in the steerer tube, plus a contribution from the fork crown and the top few inches of fork blade. With the cable hanger at the top of that tube, any flex due to application of the brake tightens the cable and puts the brake on even harder. In moderation this is a very handy servo effect. In excess it causes judder. Changing to a design of cantilever with less mechanical advantage reduces the servo effect and may remove the judder, or not.
The most effective and the cheapest solution is to re-locate the cable hanger to the fork crown, taking the flexible carbon steerer tube out of the loop. You need an "uphanger"...

I have sold more 'Van Nicholas Amazon' and 'Specialized Tricross' bikes than I can remember, as such I normally flag this potential problem upto the rider before and after they take for a test ride as enough have mentioned the judder for it to be a valid concern. However most don't notice a problem at all, although I note with interest that those that have been riding for a while that have had fork judder seemed to have had more focus on the front brake that those that seemed to have used both frnt and rear brake more evenly.

You can rest assured that the bicycle suppliers, Specialized included do receive feedback from their retailers, I repeat most don't notice fork Judder on the Tricross bikes, although enough did for us (and I dare so other retailers) to highlight this as an issue to Specialized; the 'Uphanger' being such an example of their response.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

pauldesjour

I have a very light Pro carbon cross fork on my Airborne Carpe Diem with Tektro Oryx Brakes and Spinergy SR3 wheels. Having tried everything (headset, brake pad toe in, etc etc) I found these brake pads.....Ashima Ultralight ASAR71CU...I cleaned the rims with brake disc cleaner, lightly sanded the pads and with 1mm of toe in the problem is completely cured. Have done about 400 miles so far with no judder/squealing....Got the pads from Bridgetown Cycles in Cannock... see http://www.btownbikes.com/ Hope this helps

Top Bottom