Judder Judder, how can I stop the front juddering under braking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mabeleliza

The worst of the juddering seems to have subsided after 50 miles or so but my god that squeal in the wet - I'll try toe-ing them in over the weekend.;)

brodhurste

I bought a Tricross and also read loads about the front juddering - for this reason I refused to accept the 2009 model with cantis, I asked the shop to put Tektro mini-Vs which totally solved the problem - it was juddering on the test ride. Ditch the cantis, get Vs.

jpembroke

Tried Mini Vs and ditched them after a coupe of rides: no modulation and they have to be run so close to the rim that a) they rub if the rim is even slightly out of true, ;) you have to undo the cable to get the wheel out, and c) they have very little mud clearance so useless for racing. A good set of cantis is the only sensible answer for most cyclocrossers.

RedBike

To stop the bike juddering you need to set the yoke as high as possible.

I wish I fully understood what is going on but it's all to do with resonance and the amount of cable between the hanger and the yoke.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Interesting post guys, I am pretty close to chosing a new bike and the tricross was very high up my shortlist, I will be getting the largest framesize and had heard tales of fork judder in the larger sizes but nothing to this magnitude.

I still like the tricross but confused as to whether the problem is fixable now, if so how easy is it to fix? why dont the LBS that recommend this bike tell you about it, or help you fix it before you purchase?

jpembroke

RedBike said:
To stop the bike juddering you need to set the yoke as high as possible.

I wish I fully understood what is going on but it's all to do with resonance and the amount of cable between the hanger and the yoke.

It's all to do with mechanical advantage. When the yoke is set higher modulation increases but braking power decreases. When you lower the yoke the opposite happens. So, if you have a the yoke set close to the wheel you will have a more powerful - yet on/off - brake that is more likely to result in judder.

brodhurste

I really, really like my tricross - I don't have much experience of CX, have been 15 years an MTBer - very pleasantly suprised by excellent ride of the Tricross. Fork really soaks up the bumps. I agree with previous post about mini-Vs being a pain to remove tyre etc but I prefer this to brake judder. Grab one and go for a test ride - if it judders ask the shop for a solution and don't let them fob you off.

New Horizon said:
Carbon forks + cantilever brakes seems to lead to varying degrees of brake judder, as many Specialized Tricross owners found, and as I have found on my Van Nicholas. Its not as though manufacturers are not aware of this problem, yet they keep selling a potentially lethal combination. When it happens its extremely rapid and very frightening and I can see my carbon fork wobbling like a jelly. The accepted damage limitation measures seem to be as mentioned above ie get a fork crown cable hanger (Kona KF from dotbike in UK) and move to soft pads, ideally salmon Kool Stop MTB Pad V-type (also from dotbike). I'm in the process of doing just this so will report back when done.

Done it and the problem is solved completely - I tried just the Kool Stops to start with but they squealed horrendously so I went back to the Shimano pads and altered the hanger arrangement. Added a JagWire in-line adjuster as there is no provision for adjustment on the hanger. Braking is more than acceptable. Why the manufacturers couldn't have worked that out is beyond me.

p3k4y

New Horizon said:
Done it and the problem is solved completely - I tried just the Kool Stops to start with but they squealed horrendously so I went back to the Shimano pads and altered the hanger arrangement. Added a JagWire in-line adjuster as there is no provision for adjustment on the hanger. Braking is more than acceptable. Why the manufacturers couldn't have worked that out is beyond me.

Hi I am having the exact same problem myself with a 2009 Tricross Sport Triple. I have ordered myself a hanger based on yours (and others) experiences, is there any chance you could post a photo here of the fitted hanger so I have something to compare when I try mine?

fooeynet

Specialized now selling their own front fork hanger

p3k4y said:
Hi I am having the exact same problem myself with a 2009 Tricross Sport Triple. I have ordered myself a hanger based on yours (and others) experiences, is there any chance you could post a photo here of the fitted hanger so I have something to compare when I try mine?

Anyone else notice that Specialized is now selling a front fork hanger themselves? I haven't seen it yet, but the manual is available on the website:
"The Specialized Tricross Fork Brake Hanger is designed to reduce front brake chatter."

http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf/manuals/IG0226_Tricross_Guide.pdf

peanut

flyingelephant said:
My cross bike is almost uncontrolable under front wheel braking. Toed in the front brakes,

I thought that you toed them out ?
Have you tried having them grip first from the back of the shoes ie the bit nearest the forks .? or is that what you meant

peanut

yes I'm sure you are right for reducing brake pad squeal however the op was complaining about judder an all together different thing. I wondered if it might reduce the judder by having the rear of the brake pads touch first instead of the rear.In reality it is a tiny bit of toe less than one degree probably which will soon wear away.

Top Bottom