The time is rapidly approaching for our annual jaunt into the Yorkshire Dales, starting and finishing in the lovely market town of Settle. As usual, I have deferred route planning to Dales local @Sea of vapours. He has come up with another cracker, taking us up into the NE corner of the Dales and back this year. You will need to be fit for this ride - we will be riding 128 km (80 miles) and doing about 2,500 metres (8,200 ft) of climbing, some very steep. There will also be some steep descents. We will not be riding fast but we do need to try to average an overall speed of (say) 15 kph (9 mph) in order to get back at a reasonable time. If you have ridden with us before, you'll know the score - we chat as we ride and nobody gets left behind, but if you are struggling early on then there is a significant shortcut that you could take from Aysgarth along Wensleydale through Hawes (or a quieter option on the other side of the river Ure). It would eliminate 2 big climbs and reduce your total distance to 102 km (63 miles). The climbing would be reduced to about 1,750 m (5,750 ft). If you took that option, you would be leaving us before our cafe stop, but you could call in at Hawes to refuel if you wanted to, and then ride back by the rest of the original route. We will stop at the Dales Bike Centre cafe near Grinton. It is at about halfway, but with more than half the climbing done. If you examine the elevation profile below, you will see that the last 27 km from Newby Head Moss is almost all downhill, which should make for a nice warm-down. The route (ridden anti-clockwise) The elevation profile Riders: ColinJ + pal Bill Sea of vapours Pale Rider (from Aysgarth to cafe and another hill beyond that!) Please post below if you have any questions and/or would like to ride with us. ********** ColinJ's forum ride tag list ********** RSVP: @doughnut @Starchivore ********** (If you'd like your name added to future invites, let me know below) ********** We aim to do the ride on Sat, 1st July 2017 but we will not proceed on that date if there is a bad weather forecast. The route includes wild and exposed summits that would be horrendous and potentially dangerous to cross in stormy conditions. We therefore have 2 alternative dates lined up - Sat, 15th July and Sat, 22nd July. The final choice will be made on the Thursday or Friday. Drizzle here and there would be acceptable, thunderstorms would not be!