England : North Yorkshire July 1st, 2017 - the annual Settle Yorkshire Dales forum ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I promise that conditions will be cooler on the day of the ride ... probably!

It's anti-clockwise, so you can head off to Ingleton at Ribblehead on the way back. You could also shorten the start marginally by joining at Stainforth.
By the look of the map you are taking that single track road down the side of knights stainforth hall caravan park, if so I will endevour to meet you there around 10.15? Though I love the route between Ribblehead and Horton in Ribblesdale I will probably shoot off straight back to Ingleton rather than add the extra 25k

By the look of the map you are taking that single track road down the side of knights stainforth hall caravan park,

Correct. It's already occurred to me to lurk down by the ridiculous hump back bridge at the bottom of that, rather than go to Settle, though on balance I'll probably go to Settle I think. On the way back, I'll either be going straight on at Ribblhead or will turn off at Helwith Bridge.

I promise that conditions will be cooler on the day of the ride ... probably!

I don't so much mind about cooler or not, but if you could lay on considerably lower humidity that would be the main thing please Colin.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I may have overdone the temperature reduction! I'd had enough of 30-plus degrees, but the forecast is currently for about 15 degrees. I'll try and get that back up to 19-23 degrees. I am 'fairly confident' that it will not be excessively humid on the day.

It is looking like we now have 4 riders for (near enough) the full route with a mid-ride guest appearance from Pale Rider but the Dales are big enough for us to squeeze a couple more riders into our group if anybody else fancies joining us ...? :whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just confirming my guest appearance at Aysgarth.

Looks like it's raining hard in north Yorkshire today, but the forecast is fine and dry for Saturday, with light wind.

@ColinJ, I take it you will have your mobile ending 978 for the ride, not that I expect to need to call you.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just confirming my guest appearance at Aysgarth.

Looks like it's raining hard in north Yorkshire today, but the forecast is fine and dry for Saturday, with light wind.

@ColinJ, I take it you will have your mobile ending 978 for the ride, not that I expect to need to call you.
I will, though there are reception black spots round there. Best to text if you need to contact me because I don't stop dead in the road to answer the phone! (Though sometimes there is a delay receiving texts. If you text me on the day and don't get a reply inside 15 minutes then ring!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Drat! Double drat!!

I just got a call from Bill ... The car that he has been using belongs to his son. (His son now has a company car.) Bill got a puncture this morning and went to put the spare on, only to discover that the wheels have got security nuts on and they do not have the special tool for getting them off! He is going to try and sort this mess out before Saturday, but if not he is out and my lift goes with him! :laugh:

If I have to I will cycle to Keighley and catch the train from there and do the same in reverse on the way home. That would give me a very lumpy imperial century for the day.

Most tyre places have a collection of those lock nut adaptors since it's hardly an uncommon issue, so you should be fine. Fingers crossed and all that.

Text works well in the Dales as there /is/ reception at the top of most things, and we are not short of tops of things on Saturday ;-) There's certainly a signal in Settle and in Kettlewell for most networks (if not all).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Fine drizzle in Wensleydale at the moment, so it looks like my Friday night treat bottle of beer won't be taken on the deck of the caravan.

Forecast still dry for tomorrow.

The forecast doesn't look bad at all does it. Slightly too much wind; slightly too cool and an annoying possibility of light rain from 1800, though we should all be finished by then I hope.

How are you travelling then, Colin? Is the Bill-mobile sorted or are you arriving by train (with Bill?)? In the train case, what time at Settle? I'm going to meet you at the amusingly-tiny hump backed bridge over the Ribble between Little Stainforth and Stainforth so I'll time it to be there a few minutes before you. i.e. about 1015 unless you say otherwise re coming by train.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, it is looking like it will be a bit breezy but it should be dry for most, if not all of the Dales ride.

Bill is officially out and I can't face jumping through hoops to catch trains all the way to Settle (Train from Todmorden to Bradford Interchange; ride to Bradford Forster Square; Train to Shipley; change for train to Settle and do the same in reverse at the end of the day) so ... I have decided to man up and ride to Keighley to catch the train from there and ride back from Keighley tomorrow evening. That adds about 53 km of distance and 750 metres of climbing to my ride so it will be quite a tough day, but I will save about £5 and I won't have to worry about missing connections!
All being well, my train will get into Settle at 09:48 so 10:15 at the bridge should be about right. I can catch a train back to Keighley at 17:57 but I suspect that I might not get back to Settle station in time for that. The next train is at 19:44 and I really do not want to miss that one!

I have just realised that I will end up on about 180 km for the day so it is tempting to try and squeeze an extra 20 km in to get 200 km done ... I will be setting off with lots of time to spare in the morning to allow for possible puncture-fixing on the way to Keighley. If I have time I will buy my ticket and then nip out and do a few circuits of the town centre while I wait for my train. I'd then have to top the ride up at the end of the day. If I got back to Settle halfway between my 2 trains then I'd have time to ride around a bit then.

I have Pale Rider's number. and I have a number ending in ***649 for @oldfatfool (have you decided whether you WILL be joining us?), but I don't seem to have a number for @Sea of vapours - Mike, I'll PM you the number of my ride phone. You can reply with yours if you like. (Obviously, if you don't then I can't let you know if disaster strikes and you would have to try phoning me once you realised that I was late.)

I have just noticed that my rear tyre is starting to look a bit worn so I think I will put a new Lithion 2 on. I hadn't used it because it a 23C and I prefer to use 25C these days, but no sense in risking the old tyre tomorrow. (I'll carry a spare tyre just in case but I don't want to be swapping tyres out on the road if I can help it.)

See you tomorrow! :okay:

There's a way to fix that first bit: the rain isn't due anywhere 'til 1800 so I'm hopeful that we can make it back by then, thereby avoiding the wet stuff and getting you back to Settle in time for the 1757.

That'll be a pretty big day in terms of both climbing and distance, for you. I think mine's non-trivial which is why I'm going to the Stainforth bridge for 1015 instead of Settle at 1000 (to be fair, that's more a time thing - I'm not strong on mornings as such). I'll be coming back down to Helwith Bridge on the return though, so not far short of Settle.

I'll send you my mobile number again, but I won't be carrying it on the day, so please text me before 0930 if there is any sign of a problem.

See you tomorrow :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, it is looking like it will be a bit breezy but it should be dry for most, if not all of the Dales ride.

Bill is officially out and I can't face jumping through hoops to catch trains all the way to Settle (Train from Todmorden to Bradford Interchange; ride to Bradford Forster Square; Train to Shipley; change for train to Settle and do the same in reverse at the end of the day) so ... I have decided to man up and ride to Keighley to catch the train from there and ride back from Keighley tomorrow evening. That adds about 53 km of distance and 750 metres of climbing to my ride so it will be quite a tough day, but I will save about £5 and I won't have to worry about missing connections!
All being well, my train will get into Settle at 09:48 so 10:15 at the bridge should be about right. I can catch a train back to Keighley at 17:57 but I suspect that I might not get back to Settle station in time for that. The next train is at 19:44 and I really do not want to miss that one!

I have just realised that I will end up on about 180 km for the day so it is tempting to try and squeeze an extra 20 km in to get 200 km done ... I will be setting off with lots of time to spare in the morning to allow for possible puncture-fixing on the way to Keighley. If I have time I will buy my ticket and then nip out and do a few circuits of the town centre while I wait for my train. I'd then have to top the ride up at the end of the day. If I got back to Settle halfway between my 2 trains then I'd have time to ride around a bit then.

I have Pale Rider's number. and I have a number ending in ***649 for @oldfatfool (have you decided whether you WILL be joining us?), but I don't seem to have a number for @Sea of vapours - Mike, I'll PM you the number of my ride phone. You can reply with yours if you like. (Obviously, if you don't then I can't let you know if disaster strikes and you would have to try phoning me once you realised that I was late.)

I have just noticed that my rear tyre is starting to look a bit worn so I think I will put a new Lithion 2 on. I hadn't used it because it a 23C and I prefer to use 25C these days, but no sense in risking the old tyre tomorrow. (I'll carry a spare tyre just in case but I don't want to be swapping tyres out on the road if I can help it.)

See you tomorrow! :okay:

That's a good effort one way and another to get to the ride.

Drizzle now stopped, so about the worst we should have to face wet-wise is dodging the occasional puddle.

Top Bottom