England : North Yorkshire July 1st, 2017 - the annual Settle Yorkshire Dales forum ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Oh my goodness, what a tale. I was up in the area that week and weekend. I thought my Saturday was bad (Penrith to Shap/Kendal/Bowness/Broughton in Furness) Very windy, got soaked and then hypothermia set in as I didn't put a cag on. Mum said no rain at all in Penrith!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh my goodness, what a tale. I was up in the area that week and weekend. I thought my Saturday was bad (Penrith to Shap/Kendal/Bowness/Broughton in Furness) Very windy, got soaked and then hypothermia set in as I didn't put a cag on. Mum said no rain at all in Penrith!
It was pouring as far east as Horton-in-Ribblesdale but Settle was dry when I got there. People were wandering about in shorts and tee-shirts, seemingly unaware of what was blowing in! It was still dry in Bradford but as I mentioned above - the rain had arrived by the time I got back to Todmorden.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Me and @Sea of vapours (Mike) did a cheeky mid week part rerun of this ride today.

My portion being over Grinton to Reeth, then back over Fleak Moss.

I had my 650b ebike, so no chance of involuntary wheelies.

Hardly any wind was another bonus.

The good news is I made 'the wall' - and the rest of Fleak Moss - without stopping.

Giving it pretty much full beans from both me and ebike, I just about kept ahead of Mike.

I doubt there are many cyclists who could have got up there much quicker than the pair of us today.

I was more cream crackered than Mike at the top, to the point of being slightly light headed.

All good experience - and fun.

My thanks to Mike for turning out, and for his company.

Were it not for him I would have found an excuse not to do the ride.

A very good day out, Rob. I can assure you that, were it not for you wanting to do it again, I'd also have found an excuse not to do that particular rather hard combination of hills today as getting to the foot of Fleak Moss tends to feel like a big effort (what with it being about 70km and about 1,400m just to get to it).

To add to Rob's account I'd point out that he was comfortably a few hundred metres ahead of me all the way up to the top of 'the wall', which is about 2.5km from the top, and I briefly caught him on the 'flat' bit beyond that then dropped back again once the last series of false summits started. Rob on the bigger e-bike is an impressive hill climbing combination!

It was one of those days where the wind started off NE - a headwind to Aysgarth - swung round to N or NW - a headwind over Grinton Moor - and then finished its volte face with a W or SW from the top of Fleak Moss onwards, so another headwind all the way back to Ingleton. It was, however, negligible atop Fleak Moss, giving the midges/bugs/whatever they were a great opportunity to encourage us to descend sooner than we might otherwise have done. Hmph. Still, it was pretty light, but the direction change was 'amusing' I thought. I'm not complaining though - very nice weather indeed bar that minor quibble.

Top Bottom