Jumping ship from road bike to Mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MTB now. Gave up road after getting a broken spine. After chatting with a fellow injured CCer, I realised I can't look behind me anymore so riding on the road is a bad idea. I can't twist my spine enough to look behind now.

130mm travel full suspension with a dropper seatpost. Despite the dropper being great for steep stuff its also great as I struggle to chuck my leg over the bike especially after a while as my back gets stiff. Drop the seat and I can get on.

Just need a zimmer frame for it now.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Tourer with inappropriate 26x2.1s. Plenty of bounce in my flounce.

View attachment 412705

That Surly doesn't really look much different from any late 80's/early 90's 26" MTB fitted with mudguards & rack. It has exactly the sort of frame you'd find on such a MTB, with long chainstays & wheelbase. There was a pic of a 1994 Raleigh Sabre set up as a tourer on another thread I was reading the other day and the overall effect was very similar. What we're really talking about is a choice between running strong, sensibly built bikes and silly flimsy stuff which might go faster but will not take rough treatment.

Alan O

Über Member
Variety is the essence, I'd say. I switch between a road bike with 25mm tyres, a tourer with 32mm tyres, and my MTB, depending on route and mood (with the tourer getting the most miles). The MTB currently has semi-slick Conti Sport Contact tyres, and in these dry summer conditions I love them - they're far more comfy and quicker than the knobblies and the Schwalbe Land Cruisers that I also have for it.

Top Bottom