Just £2 a month. Noooooo!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill Gates

The list is endless.....Clean water in .... suffering donkeys in....abused dogs.....sick children.....starving children in...adopting a puma......adopting a guide dog.......sponsoring a child in....... Don't get me wrong each and everyone is a worthwhile cause, but I'm suffering from charity fatigue. Not long ago,last christmas, I saw a stand outside a department store collectiing for Battersea Dogs home. Good cause so I went up to the guy and gave him a tenner.No can't take it he said as he wasn't there to take donations but to get a monthly DD. I said no, and then he proceeded to take the piss by sarcastically wishing me a happy christmas, in fact a very very happy christmas. Nice

Last edited:
I signed up to £2 month for Save The Children probably before year 2000. They know that people cannot bring themselves to cancel the direct debit. I must have saved quite a few children by now but I've no idea what to do with my collection.

delb0y

Legendary Member
We do a couple in our household, but you can't do them all. Sometimes I wonder where the money really goes. What most annoys me is once they've got you on your list you get an endless supply of raffle tickets and Christmas cards and other requests to sell stuff, or increase your donation.

tom73

Guru
A few years ago one came knocking at the door asking for me to sign up to DD donations I let them talk all the spin. Asked if I was willing to sign up I told them no. Asked why I replied that I've volunteered for said charity for over 20years as did Mrs 73. They did not know what to say and quietly walked off.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I support a small number of charities on a piecemeal basis, which probably means I give less each year than if I used direct debits.

As regards where the money goes, I favour small local charities because I think there's a better chance a greater proportion of the gift goes to the good cause.

One of the local solicitors runs such a charity, he's no mate of mine, just an acquaintance, but I am as certain as I can be the job is done right financially.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I donate to my favourite charities via Give As You Earn (GAYE) which is really simple. As a basic rate tax payer, for every 80p I donate the charity receives £1. If your employer doesn't operate that way then give via the charity's website or fundraising platform but be sure to gift aid it so that they get an additional 25% at no cost to you.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

The last time I went to buy the Big Issue the guy hassled me to give him more than the £2. Is that all? he said. I wasn't the only one I saw him doing it to everybody. Shame is I don't buy it anymore.

Sharky

Guru
I donate to my favourite charities via Give As You Earn (GAYE) which is really simple. As a basic rate tax payer, for every 80p I donate the charity receives £1. If your employer doesn't operate that way then give via the charity's website or fundraising platform but be sure to gift aid it so that they get an additional 25% at no cost to you.
My old firm runs that scheme.

Chris S

Legendary Member

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I support a small number of charities on a piecemeal basis, which probably means I give less each year than if I used direct debits.

As regards where the money goes, I favour small local charities because I think there's a better chance a greater proportion of the gift goes to the good cause.

One of the local solicitors runs such a charity, he's no mate of mine, just an acquaintance, but I am as certain as I can be the job is done right financially.
The garage i worked for, we looked after a small charities cars and vans. the guy who owned the garage did a special rate for them, they stopped bringing there old bangers to us, we found out a year or so later they had bought two brand new Merc salloons and a new Merc van, they went back to main dealers for there servicing.

Top Bottom