Just £2 a month. Noooooo!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Possibly. But the two cars where top of the range.

I know several people in small businesses. They run seemingly expensive cars. But they ex
Unfortunately I'm not riding at all. Good job I'm in a good mood. (I seem to say that a lot at the moment) It's called taking Grumpiness to an elite level.

It must be hard for you. I have not seen anything to suggest why you're not riding, but hope you're turning those pedals soon.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's called taking Grumpiness to an elite level.
You’ll have plenty of competition on this forum ;)

vickster

Legendary Member

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Save the children has an annual income of over $2bn a year. How much do you think someone with that amount of fiscal responsibility, size of team, global reach should earn. Given the need attract an individual with the appropriate skill set to manage and indeed grow the charity to meet the demands of it?
Whithout all the volanteers it would be a lot less:wacko:.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

I know several people in small businesses. They run seemingly expensive cars. But they ex

It must be hard for you. I have not seen anything to suggest why you're not riding, but hope you're turning those pedals soon.

Thank you for your good wishes. I've not been riding for over 6 years and got rid of all my equipment, and dumped my clothing when I moved house 3 years ago. I need knee replacement surgery on both knees. I can still do rambling and walk my dogs for an hour or so every day. On that basis I'm putting the ops on hold for as long as I can.

Drago

Legendary Member
I know several people in small businesses. They run seemingly expensive cars.
I know a chap who ran a small marketing firm. It was doing pretty well, but it folded in the end. The auditors attributed the failure to there being too many Aston Martin's on the books. See, the directors weren't content to just take 60 or 70 grand a year salary. which would have been easily sustainable. No, they wanted the Richard Branson level fripperies to go with it, which proved unsustainable for such a small firm.

Mike_P

Guru
The Poppy appeal seems to either be donate whatever you like or some sellers have a list of charges. A guy at work is selling them at fixed charges whereas I found a Poppy seller in Lidl last night just asking for whatever you wanted to donate regardless of whether you took a cheap nasty largely plastic one or a small dated metal one.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Save the children has an annual income of over $2bn a year. How much do you think someone with that amount of fiscal responsibility, size of team, global reach should earn. Given the need attract an individual with the appropriate skill set to manage and indeed grow the charity to meet the demands of it?
The UK has a GDP of over $2 trillion a year. The Prime Minister's salary is £140,000 a year.
If the PM was paid in the same proportion as the head of Save the Children then they would be on £140 million a year.

vickster

Legendary Member
The UK has a GDP of over $2 trillion a year. The Prime Minister's salary is £140,000 a year.
If the PM was paid in the same proportion as the head of Save the Children then they would be on £140 million a year.
The PM doesn't do very much though really...there are 430,000+ civil servants actually doing the work ;)

The current incumbent is barely worth £140 a year...not that he needs a salary at all

And there are no shortage of people who want the job for some weird reason and I expect many could afford to do it for nothing given they'd don't really have to pay for anything while in office...

I expect the the list of qualified individuals who could run a major charity well and efficiently like STC is actually pretty short

A very good friend of mine is a qualified accountant and finance manager at a large charity (around £100m a year), she earns maybe 50-60k...overpaid given she has 20 years experience and is extremely good at her job (much in the charity sector)?

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
We've donated to Guide Dogs for years, and the local hospice, and that will continue as long as I'm able to.

We did do another regular donation to another big national charity, but frankly they took the proverbial with almost weekly phone calls and letters asking for more money to the extent that we eventually (politely) told them to do one.

At least all the charity adverts on daytime TV break up the ads for "over 50s plans" and Peloton ^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I expect the the list of qualified individuals who could run a major charity well and efficiently like STC is actually pretty short

A very good friend of mine is a qualified accountant and finance manager at a large charity (around £100m a year), she earns maybe 50-60k...overpaid given she has 20 years experience and is extremely good at her job (much in the charity sector)?

As I said before, money shouldn't be the main motivation in doing something like administering a charity. Actually believing in the charity's objectives should be the driver, not how many pennies in the pound you can cream off the efforts of all the unpaid volunteers and well-meaning donors. Many charity givers would be horrified if they knew how much of their generosity gets absorbed in admin cost and paid staff wages.

Your friend earns a comfortable living and probably enjoys a fairly pleasant & harmonious working environment. She's not doing something dirty, unpleasant, or downright dangerous for the minimum wage or something fairly close to it. She may well be good at her job, and have competent skills, but in the scheme of things, she doesn't have a tough life.

Top Bottom