Just a cyclist to them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I actually left a shooting forum because of their attitude towards cyclists. They didn't seem to understand that they're also human beings with rights, feelings, and families. And to think they have guns!

On the plus side I'm pretty sure Special Branch and/or 5 monitor such forums, so my only consolation is that the worst idiots may get a surprise at licence renewal time.

tom73

Guru
We really are nothing to these people don’t they not understand bikes don’t move along by magic but by a human sat on one.

With so many international cyclists around the last few days what a great advert that would have been for us If they got this treatment.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
increasing trend
being repeated more often

Evidence?

All the stats show that actual incidents involving cyclists have been on a downward trend for years, both in absolute numbers and relative to the amount of cycling that goes on. Those same statistics show that cycling is very safe and that most of us will never be involved in a serious incident with a motorised vehicle. You need to ride for 100,000 hours (riding for 11 years, round the clock, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year) before you can expect to be involved in a serious incident.

(https://assets.publishing.service.g...ta/file/686969/pedal-cycle-factsheet-2017.pdf)

What has changed is that forums like this one, online news services like the BBC article that prompted this thread and throwaway comments like the one made by the rider in the original article magnify the perception of danger.

All of which says nothing about driver attitude - and my anecdata is that driver attitude has significantly improved since I started riding regularly as an adult 30 years ago. Probably because there are far more cyclists on the streets I ride on than there were then.

Slick

Guru
Evidence?

All the stats show that actual incidents involving cyclists have been on a downward trend for years, both in absolute numbers and relative to the amount of cycling that goes on. Those same statistics show that cycling is very safe and that most of us will never be involved in a serious incident with a motorised vehicle. You need to ride for 100,000 hours (riding for 11 years, round the clock, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year) before you can expect to be involved in a serious incident.

(https://assets.publishing.service.g...ta/file/686969/pedal-cycle-factsheet-2017.pdf)

What has changed is that forums like this one, online news services like the BBC article that prompted this thread and throwaway comments like the one made by the rider in the original article magnify the perception of danger.

All of which says nothing about driver attitude - and my anecdata is that driver attitude has significantly improved since I started riding regularly as an adult 30 years ago. Probably because there are far more cyclists on the streets I ride on than there were then.
I'm not sure your link is relevant to this incident as she wasn't in a collision with the car, she struck an island due to the obvious frustrations of a car driver who failed to see a person, only an obstacle. Still interesting though.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I recently did a couple of long drives (300m each) and came to the conclusion that some motorists are just as horrible to other motorists as they are to cyclists. The difference, of course, is that we cyclists are not in a superstrong, crash absorbing cage.

I'd love to see more police presence and cautions/prosecutions for careless driving and illegal parking, but something makes me think that is not a big vote winner.
That's why I am active in a local cycling campaign, I must do something constructive to make things a little better.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm not sure your link is relevant to this incident
Yes it is - it would have been reported as an incident involving a bike and a car resulting in a major injury to a cyclist.

On the other hand, if I were a serious racing cyclist who'd been hit by a race safety motorbike, breaking my arm in four places I think I'd be asking some very probing questions about the training and competence of the people who were supposed to be protecting me from injury.

Slick

Guru
Yes it is - it would have been reported as an incident involving a bike and a car resulting in a major injury to a cyclist.

On the other hand, if I were a serious racing cyclist who'd been hit by a race safety motorbike, breaking my arm in four places I think I'd be asking some very probing questions about the training and competence of the people who were supposed to be protecting me from injury.
Definitely agree about the motorbike thing but I still think this incident does highlight poor drivers attitude which may not be included in the stats you quote.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Someone make a note to check the map when the road casualty data is released next September! I am fairly sure that some incidents are not recorded when the injury is caused by the cyclist being forced into collision with road furniture, on top of what we know of the counterintuitive rules that record some deaths as serious injuries and some serious injuries as slight.

mjr

tom73

Guru
With all these incidents and the close passers we all get subjected to. The thing that get’s me the most is people chose to do it with out a second thought. Just like we as people chose to cycle.

Last edited:

mjr

The op doesn’t think poor cycling behaviour was exhibited,the comment about poor cycling means a nobber is a nobber regardless of the means of transport
I am impressed by your mind-reading skills! I don't remember seeing the inverse comment made often on posts introducing articles about cycling crimes, so I wonder why it was felt necessary to criticise cyclists on this one if they don't feel that these ones did something wrong.

As you may know, the cyclists have been criticised in comments on other sites for not slowing down after being overtaken and for "Cycling on the road", so I may have been a little over-sensitive to that oblique comment here.

Top Bottom