Just a cyclist to them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

This is very sad, and highlights a serious problem with peoples 'mentality' in this day/age, regardless of who they are or what mode of transport they use.

Many of us, also drive, ride, drive professionally or otherwise etc and can accommodate to adapting to the situation, such as lorries, horse riders, milk floats, pedestrians stepping out etc. Yet, motorists become ever more risk taking and deliberately aggressive.

Whilst its not fool proof, such incidents and are the reason why i advise, and personally, use, a few action cameras across all my modes of transport, from a cycle to motorised superbike. A rear camera records and help pain the hidden evidence of what happened leading upto the event and the front cameras capture the incident and aftermath. Simply hand a copy of the footage to the police, and provided the number plates are legit and not cloned, the driver will be put before the courts.

The only consolation is that it wasn't worse where an unproved incident left someone dead in a deliberate hit & run.

I hope she heels well!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yes it is - it would have been reported as an incident involving a bike and a car resulting in a major injury to a cyclist.

On the other hand, if I were a serious racing cyclist who'd been hit by a race safety motorbike, breaking my arm in four places I think I'd be asking some very probing questions about the training and competence of the people who were supposed to be protecting me from injury.
That's an excellent point. A few times a year I myself accompany cycle races and a sportive on my motorbike.

Ive even been recommended to train as a commissaire

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Simply hand a copy of the footage to the police, and provided the number plates are legit and not cloned, the driver will be put before the courts.

That sounds like wishful thinking and doesn't align with my experience or that of many others I know.
If you report anything as a cyclist, often the opening questions from police are: Why were you riding in that position/lane? What were you wearing? Why weren't you wearing a helmet? Why weren't you using the shared path on the footway? Why were you using side streets instead of the main road? Did you have lights on?

These are all questions I have faced, even for incidents in broad daylight.

Getting a cop who shows the slightest inclination of taking you seriously is about 50/50, and it's still a lottery as to whether a prosecution will follow.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Evidence?

All the stats show that actual incidents involving cyclists have been on a downward trend for years, both in absolute numbers and relative to the amount of cycling that goes on. Those same statistics show that cycling is very safe and that most of us will never be involved in a serious incident with a motorised vehicle. You need to ride for 100,000 hours (riding for 11 years, round the clock, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year) before you can expect to be involved in a serious incident.

(https://assets.publishing.service.g...ta/file/686969/pedal-cycle-factsheet-2017.pdf)

What has changed is that forums like this one, online news services like the BBC article that prompted this thread and throwaway comments like the one made by the rider in the original article magnify the perception of danger.

All of which says nothing about driver attitude - and my anecdata is that driver attitude has significantly improved since I started riding regularly as an adult 30 years ago. Probably because there are far more cyclists on the streets I ride on than there were then.

I would say I am a fairy safe cyclist but I am also fairly fast. There are many drivers who have no clue to ‘think twice for the bike’ and I would say on my daily 10 mile commute I usually have to take at least 2 evasive manoeuvres to allow for drivers that only imagine other road users to be Fiesta sized and over!!!

tom73

Guru
Just to prove my earlier post.....
Yesterday thought i'd enjoy the sunshine and go for a rare late morning ride. I've worked out the best time when traffic dies down and can soon be on back roads quick enough if needed.

Within minutes some total low life with his soft top down thought it was so funny to close pass me within a few mm of my bars then cut back in within an inch of my front wheel. Any closer and i'd have ended up in passenger seat. Nothing else on the road but me and its more than wide enough for two cars on the same side never mind just me. The big grin on his face said it all.

Then later on a county lane with a few parked cars on one side. A little white van driven with an equally little headed man could not wait for the 20 secs for me and him to clear the cars. So passed me again with inch or two to spare.

I have never middle fingered a driver well that duck got broken both got that and a few choice words. Both I know had a great view of just what i thought of them.

Like I said they had a choice to play nice or to endanger my life just as it's my choice to let them know just what they can do.

Oh and to the BT van who passed me within minutes from home just to let you know I've just reported you.

tom73

Guru
Now that's a much better response than road-ragey middle fingers!

The latter I can report as they can work out who even with little information I can give.
The others I've no hope reporting as no proof so no chance.
The 1st guy clearly thought it was a laugh well i'm sorry but my life is worth more.
Like i've said It's not often I loose it inc the time I was driven at by a range rover.

So point taken next time some one really gets close to hitting the jackpot.
I will simple say oh dear you bad person that's not very good don't do that again.

al78

Guru
Evidence?

All the stats show that actual incidents involving cyclists have been on a downward trend for years, both in absolute numbers and relative to the amount of cycling that goes on. Those same statistics show that cycling is very safe and that most of us will never be involved in a serious incident with a motorised vehicle. You need to ride for 100,000 hours (riding for 11 years, round the clock, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year) before you can expect to be involved in a serious incident.

Doesn't provide a lot of comfort to those of us (me included) who have been nearly killed by careless drivers. A bit like justifying a war by pointing to a positive result and saying only xxx men died, not much consolation if one of those xxx is your loved one.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Doesn't provide a lot of comfort to those of us (me included) who have been nearly killed by careless drivers. A bit like justifying a war by pointing to a positive result and saying only xxx men died, not much consolation if one of those xxx is your loved one.
But it might be if you're not one of the xxx, give or take survivor's guilt.

Personally, I find it reassuring to know both that I'm probably extending my life by more than those nobber motorists are shortening cyclist lives; and that my support of campaigns like RoadJustice are probably helping to make these improvements. I realise not everyone shares this perspective, but I beg those who have left the roads not to discourage others unnecessarily with careless talk about cycling being more dangerous than it is.

Top Bottom