Just a thought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
And maybe not a specific rules as such, but maybe more of a guidleline......

Maybe there acould be one to the effect that people shouldn't criticise other's spellings?

I've seen a few posts in response to a question, where the poster's have merely slated spelling and gramatical errors and offered no help with the OP's topic at all.
Some of the replies have been downright rude and I think it could be off-putting to some.

As I say, just a thought.

(Sits back and waits for all the corrections to the above :smile:)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
not a bad thojught Panret. A PM would be a bit more piollete

Arch

Married to Night Train
I let a lot of stuff go, but just sometimes something gets my goat - more often if there seems to be a general laziness about grammar and punctuation and so on.... I'd see it as all part of the cut and thrust of forum life, and if I make a mistake, I don't mind being picked up.

I know there are several people here for example with dyslexia - and I make allowances for that if I think it's the case.

I suspect that the people who get picked up on most are those who touch a nerve in other ways...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
In the case of the most recent one I recall (the Sam Brown/Browne) I'd argue that it's helpful - given that the item name should be correct if someone is going to try and find one themselves.

Arch said:
I let a lot of stuff go, but just sometimes something gets my goat - more often if there seems to be a general laziness about grammar and punctuation and so on.... I'd see it as all part of the cut and thrust of forum life, and if I make a mistake, I don't mind being picked up.

I know there are several people here for example with dyslexia - and I make allowances for that if I think it's the case.

Same here. Incidentally, Arch, an ellipsis is only three dots, with a space at each end, thus ...

:smile:

Shaun

Founder
Panter said:
And maybe not a specific rules as such, but maybe more of a guidleline......

Maybe there acould be one to the effect that people shouldn't criticise other's spellings?

I've seen a few posts in response to a question, where the poster's have merely slated spelling and gramatical errors and offered no help with the OP's topic at all.
Some of the replies have been downright rude and I think it could be off-putting to some.

As I say, just a thought.

(Sits back and waits for all the corrections to the above :smile:)

I'd agree - nit-picking isn't usually helpful.

The exception being pointing out incorrect spellings of brand names, companies, labels, etc. that would aid someone searching for specific items, services, or advice.

My best suggestion would be to report this where you see it (use the red triangle - Report Post).

I know I say this a lot, but due to the volume of posts we get each day there is no way to monitor everything, so me and the mods mainly rely on keen-eyed CC'ers to point us in the right direction.

If someone is being a deliberate pedant and not offering anything useful to a thread, then please report it and we'll take a look at it.

I can imagine that an occasional light-hearted jibe wouldn't be a problem, but if someone is being a spelling and/or grammar bully then tell us about it.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Break
Peddle
Tire
:smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
John the Monkey said:
In the case of the most recent one I recall (the Sam Brown/Browne) I'd argue that it's helpful - given that the item name should be correct if someone is going to try and find one themselves.

Yes as one who makes mistakes - I don't mind it pointed out to me in a light hearted manner, but agree that it is useful to have things like break vs brake corrected if they need to look something up. However that can be done just as easily by using the correct word in your reply rather than having to point it out the mistake made. (Google is my friend as it underlines mistakes - though I don't know why it is underlining google at the moment - surely it knows that word:wacko:).

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Rhythm Thief said:
Same here. Incidentally, Arch, an ellipsis is only three dots, with a space at each end, thus ...

Arch's fourth dot is a full stop.

You see - each pedant can be out-pedanted.

(I'm waiting for someone to spot my deliberate typographical error.)

Top Bottom