Just a thought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rhythm Thief said:
Same here. Incidentally, Arch, an ellipsis is only three dots, with a space at each end, thus ...

:laugh:

Except in my customary house style...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
At least two of the more tireless spelling and grammar nazis are mods: they're both on this thread and one of them is me.:laugh:

:wacko:

Pete, I have the same tendency with ellipses. I think it's a way of leaving a point open to discussion sometimes. In fact, it's probably a punctuation version of the Australian Rising Inflexion?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I don't think Admin was suggesting that any minor grammar error is reported, more if it's something that the thread is about (e.g. GPS spelled GSP) which would make it hard to find when searching. Or something.

I am picky about grammar and have been occasionally on this forum but that's usually when the poster winds me up excessively about something else, or when they have corrected someone else's spelling and left a mistake in their own (specks/logs in eyes there). It's petty, I know, but I also happen to think that trying to communicate clearly and effectively is important. Particularly if you have someone for whom English isn't their first language - it's much easier for them to read English if it's written correctly than not.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I think Admins suggestion was to report folk who were picking on spelling mistakes, rather than the mistakes themselves.

I do agree that specific errors need pointing out when it relates to brand names or similar, it just annoys me when someone makes a nasty comment about a spelling mistake, even though they clearly understood the post.

Don't get me wrong, mistakes bug me a bit too, especially the break/brake thing but, hey, life's too short to let it get you down IMO :sad:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Is everyone else posting on this thread tripple checking their response before pressing "submit reply" :sad: :smile: :biggrin:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Arch said:
:sad:

Pete, I have the same tendency with ellipses. I think it's a way of leaving a point open to discussion sometimes. In fact, it's probably a punctuation version of the Australian Rising Inflexion?

I do too....
But not as often as a former workmate who used rows of dots (of varying length) to the exclusion of all other punctuation.
It was an accurate representation of how he talked, but whilst his verbal communication was crystal clear, as written it could be desperately hard to understand.
Another colleague finally came up with a name for those occasions when the number of dots exceeded the three of the ellipsis:
It was ever after referred to as "the-stream-of-consciousness-mark"

Arch

Married to Night Train
porkypete said:
I do too....
But not as often as a former workmate who used rows of dots (of varying length) to the exclusion of all other punctuation.
It was an accurate representation of how he talked, but whilst his verbal communication was crystal clear, as written it could be desperately hard to understand.
Another colleague finally came up with a name for those occasions when the number of dots exceeded the three of the ellipsis:
It was ever after referred to as "the-stream-of-consciousness-mark"

:biggrin: Very good!

Panter said:
It was a deliberate one. :ohmy:

I though that would've been clear given the nature of this thred......,..
Too right it was! But I needed an excuse to chuck in a bit of cockney alphabet... this thread so needs it!

Top Bottom