Just about to get Zwifting! Help ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If a get a Wahoo Kickr .... what else do I need? Is there a list anywhere?

I have read I need a USB dongle, as well as a shimano cassette as I run shimano and compag. What spec does my laptob need to be ....

Heeeeeeeelp :-)

R

Proto

Legendary Member
Can't advise on laptop (although I suspect any half decent, relatively new laptop will work. I use mine with a desktop and a 32" TV)

For hardware:

1) You need an ANT+ USB dongle. I bought a Suunto one. Works fine. http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Suunto_M...O04XlfQ0gHBXnGZCO-5FKP1axMbrXpmXf2xoCk5rw_wcB

2) Kickr will come with a cheapish 11 speed cassette, but it's fine. If your bikes are 11 sp, you can use the same cassette for both Campag and Shimano/SRAM drivetrain bikes without adjustment. (I'm running a Campag bike on mine). If your are on 10 speed, then you'll need different freehubs and cassettes for Shimani/SRAM and Campag.

3) You might want a front wheel support. Personal preference. It doesn't come with one.

4) Er ................ that's it

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Go to zwiftblog for set up advice and the Zwift riders Facebook page. Lots of kickr users there and a separate FB group where they discuss set up and issues.

If a get a Wahoo Kickr .... what else do I need? Is there a list anywhere?

I have read I need a USB dongle, as well as a shimano cassette as I run shimano and compag. What spec does my laptob need to be ....

Heeeeeeeelp :-)

R
You will indeed need a USB Ant+ dongle and I would be inclined to get a USB extension cable as well https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...computers&field-keywords=usb+extension+cables to get the dongle as close to the transmitting point of the trainer as possible, this is often cited as a reason why both Wahoo trainers can be subject to power dropping out etc, I have the Kickr Snap btw. Currently I run Zwift using my iPad, but I used a laptop beforehand. Mine isn't a high powered machine by any means Pentium N3700 1.60 GHz processor with 8GB of RAM and on-board Intel HD Graphics. Runs it just fine providing I get the dongle as close the leg of the Snap as possible. In truth I could do with a slightly longer one. All you need to get the view on the TV is an HDMI cable to connect laptop to TV. It's worth noting that the Kickr and Snap are very prone to interference, so I wouldn't recommend having anything Bluetooth in the vicinity when the trainer is transmitting Ant+, they will conflict and the trainer may malfunction either with power fluctuations or power spikes. That said, touch wood I have had little issue since switching to using the iPad when Zwift came on IOS. Graphically it is not as advanced, but is still more than adequate. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
K

kendocycle235

Regular
You will indeed need a USB Ant+ dongle and I would be inclined to get a USB extension cable as well https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=computers&field-keywords=usb+extension+cables to get the dongle as close to the transmitting point of the trainer as possible, this is often cited as a reason why both Wahoo trainers can be subject to power dropping out etc, I have the Kickr Snap btw. Currently I run Zwift using my iPad, but I used a laptop beforehand. Mine isn't a high powered machine by any means Pentium N3700 1.60 GHz processor with 8GB of RAM and on-board Intel HD Graphics. Runs it just fine providing I get the dongle as close the leg of the Snap as possible. In truth I could do with a slightly longer one. All you need to get the view on the TV is an HDMI cable to connect laptop to TV. It's worth noting that the Kickr and Snap are very prone to interference, so I wouldn't recommend having anything Bluetooth in the vicinity when the trainer is transmitting Ant+, they will conflict and the trainer may malfunction either with power fluctuations or power spikes. That said, touch wood I have had little issue since switching to using the iPad when Zwift came on IOS. Graphically it is not as advanced, but is still more than adequate. Hope this helps.

It does many thanks. Did you use a mouse when using the laptop?

It does many thanks. Did you use a mouse when using the laptop?
Yes, but there again I tend to use one regardless of what I'm doing. The laptop sat behind the TV in the garage on a table so I couldn't actually see it or do anything with it when riding. I had the Zwift app on an old Android tablet which I used to change direction etc. The iPad does both things for me and is small enough to be in front of me on the table.

OP
OP
K

kendocycle235

Regular
Yes, but there again I tend to use one regardless of what I'm doing. The laptop sat behind the TV in the garage on a table so I couldn't actually see it or do anything with it when riding. I had the Zwift app on an old Android tablet which I used to change direction etc. The iPad does both things for me and is small enough to be in front of me on the table.

Thanks.

Top Bottom