Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
hi there thanks for your replies

i have not gone to work today - i phoned personnel and spoke to them - my whole body is aching and my fingers are killing me - i have my arm strpped to my chest today as they are really swollen - i am going in tomorrow though and we will see then what they are going to do with me!

there was no cycle lane just an asl - they were stopped far out from the kerb - not pulled in - i was covering the brakes and doing less than 10 mph and i did see he start to open the door buy was too near to avoid it. i did some damage to the car door too - my handle bars look like they are damaged.

You are right i do get in the wars - i was only thinking about it about a second before she opened the door!!!

I will be off the bike for a while now - looking at getting some voice activated software so I can do my job - lukily i am married to the it manager at work - we only got married 4 weeks ago and i can't wear my wedding rings now - i was lucky they didn't have to cut them off in the hospital!

i will join the ctc and see about a solicitors - i do work in a firm of solicitors though - i am a legal pa - we don't do pi though.

my hobby is playing the piano though so I am gutted about that - donesn't sound the same one handed!

woman was really sorry though - wanted to call am ambulence and everything - i felt it was a bit much at the time! adrenaline m,eans you dont realise how hurt you are though doesn't it?

i promise it wont make me more reluctant - i'm a bit stubborn like that!!!!:rolleyes:

the reluctant cyclist said:
woman was really sorry though - wanted to call am ambulence and everything - i felt it was a bit much at the time! adrenaline m,eans you dont realise how hurt you are though doesn't it?

Be wary of this. I've heard of many occasions where, at the scene, the person is very sympathetic and sorry. Then they go home chat to their family, insurance company, lawyers etc and their attitude changes significantly.

I'm certainly not saying you should screw her for all she is worth, just be careful, getting compensation and money to repair the bike is never easy in these situations.

Maz

Guru
Bad luck there, mate. Get well soon!

There's an ASL on my way to work and if there's only 4/5 cars waiting at the lights I sometimes don't bother going all the way to the front, just wait in primary for the lights to change.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
As others have said, there's no question who's in the wrong - they are. But as others have also said, that's no much comfort when you have a broken finger. The moral of the story? As in so many other cases, the letter of the law is damn near irrelevant - for your own self-preservation, you have to be *extremely* careful when you're doing stuff like overtaking on the inside. I do it only when there really is no way round on the outside, with great reluctance, with extreme concentration and my hands twitching on the brake levers, and at little more than walking speed.

Try to develop a second sense that's constantly assessing - without you consciously articulating it - if a n other person did the dumbest and/or most illegal thing they could, could I still get out of it alright? It doesn't guarantee you'll never come a cropper...but it does improve your odds quite a lot.

I am constantly amazed on my commute by cyclists steaming into blind spots, or hurtling past stationary traffic, like they've never seen a driver suddenly think 'sod this' and throw a U-ey without looking. 'That'll work out fine 99 times out of 100', I think. And then there'll be that 100th time...

Defensive riding. It's the only way. 'Being in the right' sadly doesn't prevent you ending up in hospital - or worse.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
magnatom said:
Be wary of this. I've heard of many occasions where, at the scene, the person is very sympathetic and sorry. Then they go home chat to their family, insurance company, lawyers etc and their attitude changes significantly.

I'm certainly not saying you should screw her for all she is worth, just be careful, getting compensation and money to repair the bike is never easy in these situations.

Seconded. No matter how friendly, keep it all official and above-board. Even if the perp was sympathetic you can guarantee that, if any insurance companies get involved, there won't be much love in the room.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't let it put you off cycling, I know you've been affected by incidents - keep at it.

This same thing nearly happened to me last night, and, for once, I was in a compulsory cycle lane - Discovery had stopped a good two feet from the lane, then suddenly the door was flung open....had I been 1 second earlier..... anyway had plenty of time to slow down - just gave the lad a 'look' as I balanced in front of him.........

02GF74

Über Member
magnatom said:
As I have said you are not at fault, but filtering up the left is a risky business. I remember a long thread discussing this, and I remember bonj and others saying that there wasn't a problem with filtering up the left. I pointed out that people were more likely to open doors on you filtering down the left and that idea was poo pooed. However, as you have unfortunately discovered it can and does happen.

I very rarely filter up the left. Although it might feel more dangerous, it is generally safer to filter on the right.

me too = also a lights it can happen that the dopey drivers turns left across your path without indicating too.

I am nto sure fitlering - or overtaking is allowed; even if you try it o nthe right, youy will get drivers preventing you form doing that.

hope the finger heals.

02GF74

Über Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']
Defensive riding. It's the only way. 'Being in the right' sadly doesn't prevent you ending up in hospital - or worse.[/quote]

yep; I ride a bike and motorbike and you have to be very observant for potential accidents.

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
swee said:
*extremely* careful when you're doing stuff like overtaking on the inside. I do it only when there really is no way round on the outside, with great reluctance, with extreme concentration and my hands twitching on the brake levers, and at little more than walking speed. [/B]

Try to develop a second sense that's constantly assessing - without you consciously articulating it - if a n other person did the dumbest and/or most illegal thing they could, could I still get out of it alright? It doesn't guarantee you'll never come a cropper...but it does improve your odds quite a lot.

I am constantly amazed on my commute by cyclists steaming into blind spots, or hurtling past stationary traffic, like they've never seen a driver suddenly think 'sod this' and throw a U-ey without looking. 'That'll work out fine 99 times out of 100', I think. And then there'll be that 100th time...

Defensive riding. It's the only way. 'Being in the right' sadly doesn't prevent you ending up in hospital - or worse.

felt like i was doing all this but the door being opened on you is such split second timing isnt it?!

Origamist

Legendary Member
the reluctant cyclist said:
felt like i was doing all this but the door being opened on you is such split second timing isnt it?!

Yes, don't beat yourself up over this. You did your best to mitigate the seriousness of the crash and you were unlucky to get hit. I know it's of little consolation, but the damage could have been much worse.

FWIW, I have been hit by two doors and have had countless opened on me over the years. This is a risk I am prepared to accept.

U

User482

If you need to make a claim, the driver's insurance will cover it even though it was the passenger's fault. They'll deny liability but stick to your guns, and keep records of all expenses, plus photos & records of the injury, and any damage to your bike.

Tynan

Veteran
you've done nothing wrong

they have

join ctc, use their lawyers and claim accordingly

start logging your pain etc, inconvenience and every penny you spend as a result of your accident

I filter up the left all the time, it's a fact of life in London at least, I do stay very aware of cars and stay as far from parked ones as poss

if this other party was in the actual road and opened a door on the passenger side then they're utterly in the wrong

Top Bottom