Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"Can't we get you on Mastermind Sybil?"

Tetedelacourse

Bad luck TRC.

Those regulations are all well and good but I'd imagine the obvious counter would be that the door was already open and you went into it. I'm not for a minute saying that's what happened, just trying to spot potential problems you might face if you pursue a claim. Best of luck anyway and get well soon.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I had a door open just in front of me once, while filtering on the left. As I was going very slowly (exactly in case of that), and it happened a few feet ahead, I had time to stop. And shout at the passenger who got out "Why don't you look before you open the door?" His reply was "Well, cyclists don't". I have to admit, he has a point, I've never looked in the mirror before opening the nearside door of my bike...

Plonker...

Anyway, hope you mend quickly. Look on the brightside, you have new hubby to look after you, pander to your every whim etc...:rolleyes:

jely

damn - i'm a PA too... really hope your finger heals quickly - not only for work but it must be doing your head in not to be able to type quickly!! although another brightside is you can catch up with filing or archiving perhaps :ohmy::becool::biggrin:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Another thing to look out for is any movement in/from a car that would suggest someone is about to get out.
Passengers shift their body weight, undoing seat belts and turning to say goodbye to other occupants which can make a car rock from side to side.
Tell tale signs that a door might just be flung open.

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
hi there

went into work today - they are going to put me on reception for the next fw weeks - that'll be fun! i can only do it if they fit a headset to the switchboard though - can't take any messages otherwise!!

went to the police today - they were v helpful. confirmed it was absolutely not my fault and even quoted the legislation at me that the passenger did wrong! police said i need to sue on the driver's insurance too.

i called a couple of solicitors - they were not that helpful - one muttered something about it being a vert small claim and another wanted to know if the woman looked like she had any money - i willl look up the relevant law myself though to show who needs to be sued - shouldn't be too hard to handle as i work in solicitors anyway - cant believe i work in the only one that doesn't do PI!

it's been a struggle being at work today though anf my finger has really swollen up again - it's early days yet though - i have to go to fracture clinic tomorrow so will see what they say!

thanks so much for all your support it really does make me feel better - especially when the bus took amn hour and ten minutes to do 4 1/2 miles this morning!! think i will be walking it next time!!;)

the reluctant cyclist said:
especially when the bus took amn hour and ten minutes to do 4 1/2 miles this morning!! think i will be walking it next time!!:laugh:

Cycling's quicker, and good for you! ;)

Try the CTC as others have mentioned, they should/could be able to help.

Hope the finger fixes soon, TRC!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
the reluctant cyclist said:
... said i need to sue on the driver's insurance too.

i called a couple of solicitors - they were not that helpful - one muttered something about it being a vert small claim and another wanted to know if the woman looked like she had any money - i willl look up the relevant law myself though to show who needs to be sued - shouldn't be too hard to handle as i work in solicitors anyway - cant believe i work in the only one that doesn't do PI!

That's crap. Even if you're not a member, have you tried contacting the CTC's solicitors (russell, jones and walker) as they will take non-member cases...

http://www.rjw.co.uk/ctc/faq-s/faq-s#member

If you've suffered any significant injury, then that pretty much takes you over the £1000 limit for the small claims court. If you intend a diy job, that means small claims and you will only be able to claim for 'actuals', which boils down to the damage (if any) to your bike. And it'll cost you £50. And you'll have to do it ALL yourself.

You'll always find someone who hasn't had a good experience, but RJW were excellent when I had a claim against a driver. As the CTC's chosen solicitors, they have a vested interest in pursuing claims and, in my case at least, seemed to have a good knowledge of the insurance companys' tactics.

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Hi there

Thanks for the link above - i have phoned it today and they have taken details - they seem to think that i can join after the event (i am not a member of the ctc) but yhey will confirm.

I have been to the hospital again today and there is even more bad news - the fracture is right on my joint and the only hope of it healing properly is to have a plate and screw inserted - even then it is very very likely that it will develop arthritis anyway. Apparently it is in a really tricky place. I was really shocked on friday when they told me this - luckily my husband (of only 4 weeks!) was with me at the time. I have to go back for the surgery on Friday and the healing time of 4/6 weeks will start again from there. I don't know if i mentioned it but i am a pianist as well as a secretary so there is my work and my hobby out of the window in one go!!

Bit depressed today to say the least! :smile:

That's nasty!:smile:

I'm a judo player and I bu&&ered up my knee. As soon as I went to the doc it was confirmed I needed surgery and after surgery I would be off the mat for 9 months.

Instead of getting annoyed about it etc (nothing I could do about it) I looked at that day as the first day of my recovery. Each day leading up to and after the surgery was a day closer to getting back to the mat.

So your challenge is to set today as day one. From now on, every day is a day closer to you playing the piano again. Sure, I cannot guarantee that your finger will not move a little slower than before (but doctors are often wrong), but you will get back to it and you will enjoy it again.

So good luck with your challenge!!:ohmy:

(I got back on the mat and although I no longer compete, age more than the injury, I still love a good rumble on the mat. Yes, my knee is a little grumpy at times, but it doesn't stop me enjoying what I do)

dondare

Über Member
Their fault, no question.
Opening a car door into the path of a moving vehicle is illegal. Filtering to the left of stationary traffic is not.

spindrift

This place is just the best, it's life-affirming to see the sympathy injured cyclists get here, makes me sniffy.

Good luck reluctant.

Top Bottom