Just been questioned by the plod over 'driving erratically'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I haven't been pulled over by the police for a possible driving offence since 1882!!
They were just following up on that incident. There's a bit of a backlog, I hear.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Ha - this reminded me of the time my sister was driving & I was a passenger. She had dropped off her boyfriend & we were heading home, I was winding her up about something in true big brother style, and she allowed it to affect her driving somewhat.

When we got home around midnight my Dad was waiting. He'd had a call from the local police station asking if he knew that his car was being driven erratically along the road in question. It probably "helped" that he was, at the time, a police Inspector!!!

Mr Celine

Discordian
May 1985, about 5 am on a beautiful sunny spring morning I was driving home with a couple of crew mates in my trusty 2000E after a shift working on the River Tay salmon fishing. Coming in to Perth there was a police car blocking the road and I was flagged down by a sergeant accompanied by a fresh-faced young constable. I'd seen neither of them in my life before, but immediately I recognised the sergeant. Chinny, the crew foreman, lived with his dad, who was a police sergeant. Chinny was nick-named thus on account of having a chin bigger than Jimmy Hill, a feature also possessed by the polis man who'd flagged me down. I wound down the window.
"Where you going sonny?"
"Home. I've been working at the fishing. Ron's the gaffer"
Having said this I fully expected him to tell me to be on my way, but no, he told me to get out and open the boot. This I did, while the constable occupied himself with poking at the rust and kicking the tyres.
At this moment the early morning stillness was broken by the sound of an approaching motorbike, still out of sight but obviously going very fast. All three of us turned to look down the Dundee Road as it screamed round the corner at about 70mph, saw the police car, slammed on the brakes, went down through the gears and burbled slowly towards us.
Just at the point where two of us recognised both the rider and the bike, it revved up, popped a huge wheelie and roared past, straight through the red traffic lights at the next junction before it disappeared out of sight.

The constable fumbled frantically for his radio, "I got his number Sarge, I got his number!"

The sergeant said "Nah, you can't have seen it properly, he was going far too fast"

Always wanting to help our brave boys in blue, I added "Sergeant Tindall, I definitely got his number."

He gave me one look before shouting "Get back into that f***ing heap of shite and get it out of my sight now!"

Arriving for work the next evening I met Chinny, moving sufficient belongings into the bothy for a few days, as domestic relationships had got rather strained and he thought it best to keep away from his dad for a while. :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
He was pulled over by Constable Savage for wearing a loud cravat in a built up area during the hours of darkness.

and walking on the cracks in the pavement…

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I recall being stopped many years ago, 4 lads in a rough looking old Cortina. I saw the copper pull out behind me so knew we'd be stopped. Anyhow he opens with ". You're strangers in town", but to be fair I think he instantly realised that sounded a bit silly given he wasn't Rod Steiger in "In the Heat of the Night" particularly as the car had Carmarthenshire numberplates and we were on the A40, the main road through West Wales

Last edited:
I was stopped on my way home from work many years ago

apparently my passenger side rear light was out

funny - it was back on by the time we got round to the back of the car.

By which time the Police Officer had had time to ask what my job was (Teacher at the posh school up the road) and see how I was dressed

There is a possibility that he just pulled me up on the off chance that a London registered car over 10 years old driving through a small town in North Wales might be 'up to no good'
or maybe the back light had gone off - although it never did it again

Later on, the Police often did random breath tests in the mornings approaching Christmas - on the road in Rhyl were I was then working.
In that same car - I seemed to get pulled over far more than most other people working at that school

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Anyone know how the plod treat these boy racers that are flying up the road outside as i post,doing i'd say 40 to 50mph in a 30 mph zone? So let me see. They stop a 60 year old bloke who keeps to the speed limit,indicates when maneuvering,covers his brake when necessary etc,yet these idiots seem to go untouched! I presume they do go untouched as if they were actually being pulled up for proper erratic driving,they wouldn't risk their licenses,fearing being pulled up again.

Top Bottom