just checkin....what do people think about ultegra 6700 RD...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2clepto

hi,

what do people think about ultegra 6700 RD...im was about to get this

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-6700-rear-derailleur-grey-56074.html

as a replacement for my 105 ten speed which has seen better days, and im wondering what people think regarding the 6700 short cage being compatible with the rest of my setup which is an 11 25 cassette with a compact chainset 36 50 and 105 RD. ill probably need a new chain too.

my thinking is...i need a new RD, just get another 105 for £27 but merlin are selling a 6700 for an extra £10 this weekend for £37 which is a no brainer, im convinced, i was just interested in what other cyclists thought. cheers.

jack smith

Veteran
In short its a few grams lighter thats it spend the extra tenner on the chain.

Citius

my thinking is...i need a new RD, just get another 105 for £27 but merlin are selling a 6700 for an extra £10 this weekend for £37 which is a no brainer, im convinced, i was just interested in what other cyclists thought. cheers.

Depends on how keen you are to spend an extra tenner for no obvious benefit.

OP
OP

2clepto

"Depends on how keen you are to spend an extra tenner for no obvious benefit." comments like these suggest ultegra is an unnecessary rip off? or you are claiming less weight is a pointless avenue to follow regarding cycling component upgrades? the latter does not seem to be a consensus across cycling blogs and cultures.

Drago

Legendary Member
If the Op notices any improvement whatsoever (except perhaps in shiny appearance) from the Ultegra mech then I'll stop stalking Carol Vorderman and join a monastery.

He will not notice any difference in feel or shifting performance, and as good, fit and experienced as many users of this forum may be there's probably no one on here that will gain any measurable benefit from a 23g reduction in weight.

The OPs choice of meal for lunch will make a significantly bigger weight different than that. It's only when such gains become multiplied many times over (say, an entire groupset that is significantly lighter than that whichever replaces) and become cumulative that any benefit is to be gained. Our Op will go no faster, will not feel any performance improvement of any kind, and won't pull any more chicks by swapping the RD alone.

This aside, it'll work perfectly so the Op is fine to proceed, but Citius is right to point out that the 105 will also work perfectly and will leave him with more cash in his wallet.

And since when did a "consensus" mean anything? Wasn't so long ago the consensus was that the World was flat and witches existed. While we do sometimes disagree, I'd sooner listen to Citius than the ramblings of a bike magazine journalist who was writing for a gardening magazine two years ago. Some are better than others, but the worst magazines write utter drivel, and some of the blogs are no better.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2clepto

"will not feel any performance improvement of any kind.." ill trust you and get the 105. thanks for the advice. just want i was looking for. thanks for being passionate too.

Citius

"Depends on how keen you are to spend an extra tenner for no obvious benefit." comments like these suggest ultegra is an unnecessary rip off? or you are claiming less weight is a pointless avenue to follow regarding cycling component upgrades? the latter does not seem to be a consensus across cycling blogs and cultures.

Ultegra is made from marginally better quality materials and probably weighs marginally less. But in the real world - what will you notice out on the road for that extra tenner? Nothing, is my bet. Or I will join Drago in his monastery.

mythste

Veteran
Ultegra is made from marginally better quality materials and probably weighs marginally less. But in the real world - what will you notice out on the road for that extra tenner? Nothing, is my bet. Or I will join Drago in his monastery.

And finally the source of all the tension is revealed!

Good luck fellas, we'll see you on the otherside. Our rainbow flags a' waiting.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I would spend the extra £10 for Ultegra, just because it will feel nicer when you play with it for a week or so before you get round to fitting it.

Top Bottom