Just completed LEJOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onyer

Started from LE on 28th September and finished at JOG on 10th October. 973 miles in 13 days. Not too bad for an old fella like me (I'm 61 you know)! I booked it with Carl from Great Bear Overland trails. Highly recommended if you want support such as luggage transfer, tea on cold mornings and hot soup for lunch.

The first two days were really tough as we had a headwind all day plus the combination of the hills in Cornwall and Devon. Once we turned the corner at Bristol it wasn't too bad - just rain!. But the last three days were by far the worst of the trip. We left Crianlarich to make our way to Fort Augustus via Fort William and the wind was howling in our faces through Glenco. After what seemed an age we met Carl who had a very welcome tea on the boil and I realised that we had only covered 26 miles with another 57 to go. At that point I very nearly gave up and just wanted to stay in the van. But then I realised that if I gave up I would have to do the whole trip again sometime to actually achieve the ride. The next day from Fort Augustus to Golspie was possibly worse, especially on the bridge across Dornoch Firth - I should have walked it really as looking back it was very dangerous on the bike. It took me 2 hours to cover the last 16 miles! The final day was from Golspie to JOG via the single track road from Helmsdale up to the A836 and then the final 37 miles, via Thurso, to JOG.

Would I do it again? No - too many other rides to do and other places to see. But LEJOG is one I have always wanted to do and now it is ticked off my list.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Well done :bravo:

oiljam

Active...ish Member
That's great and there's me at 39 thinking I'm knocking on for such a feat. Its high in my to do list. I'll be checking out Great Bear Overland Trails now as you suggest. Must be a great feeling when you've completed it. It didn't sound like the best of riding conditions so well done to your strong determination to carry you through. Hopefully I'll be joining you next year in the LEJOG club.

Jimbob312

Regular
Nice one, sounds like the weather wasn't too kind.
Hope oiljame not getting to old as I am having a go next year........

LimeBurn

Über Member
Well done, good effort. On my list, but whether I get around to it is a different matter.

albal

Guru
good job. I left LE on 20 sept and arr JOG 2 Oct. (part of my GIB toJOG route) Tho in Scotch took a different route to you. The last 55 or so miles from Bettyhill to JOG were the toughest regards winds, of 40mph from south east. Would I do it again? of course.

simon_o

cracking effort,

But then I realised that if I gave up I would have to do the whole trip again sometime to actually achieve the ride.

I'm planning on giving LEJOG a shot next year and I have a feeling this will be a recurring motivation

Top Bottom