just cycled 35 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jane Smart

The Queen
That was my longest run yet. I cycled to the cycle path this time which added ten miles to my ride. Unfortunately I still cannot cycle on the main roads, I am just not confident and am still wobbly, even after the mileage I am putting in:wacko: I always give pedestrians a very wide berth and slow down to an almost stop, to be honest, as I don't want to upset anyone. Unfortunately today a man went bolistic at me, even though I was no where near him and as I said, almost stopped. I tried to explain that I do want to cycle on the roads when I am ready and that I have only come back to cycling this past three weeks after a 34 year break away, but he just said "yeah right" He then almost tried to force me in the road, sticking his chest out and trying his hardest to "herd" me without touching me though. I was so upset.

I have though, started to cycle on the roads of the quiet roads, unfortunately todays road ( very wide footpath with a grass verge, and I cycled onto the verge when I saw him to give him space ) was a main bus route and I just could not bring myself to go on it.

Then 16 miles from home, a bee went into my face and stung me, just to add to a rotton time :rolleyes: it poured down with rain and the wind was in my face.

But you know what, apart from that man and the bee sting, I loved the cycle :smile:

Well done - keep it up!

You'll get more confident, and don't let the Ba$tards grind you down!

Garz

Squat Member
OMG jane sounds like you had a bad day! Dont let the minority of idiots put you off, keep getting on the bike and in a few more rides you should be brave enough to get on some roads!

wilko

Veteran
Hmmm, Jane I wonder if that man would have tried to push me into the road. Or any man for that matter. The twat was just a bully, not nice for you! Don't let it put you off.

Jane,

Have you thought about taking a couple of lessons with a National Standards qualified instructor? It shouldn't cost that much and he'll take you on the kind of roads that you are at present too wary of. He'll discuss the techniques you need to use to be safe and feel confident, as well as route planning if you want him/her to.

Sounds as though it would be money well spent.........

OP
OP
Jane Smart

Jane Smart

The Queen
I had no idea that kind of thing was out there, I would love to take some lessons, I will look into it thank you.

Have you any idea where I would find that?

:smile:

OP
OP
Jane Smart

Jane Smart

The Queen
wilko said:
Hmmm, Jane I wonder if that man would have tried to push me into the road. Or any man for that matter. The twat was just a bully, not nice for you! Don't let it put you off.

that is a good point, probably not Wilko :smile:

Sam Kennedy

Well done! It's good you kept cycling even after that person was awkward, the bee sting and the rain, when the weather gets nicer, it will seem much better!

If you haven't already, get a copy of cyclecraft, but I think lessons would be much better.

Keep it up :smile:

OP
OP
Jane Smart

Jane Smart

The Queen
I will get a copy of cyclecraft Sam yes. Oh and believe you me, I nearly, so nearly turned my bike around and went home. However, I didn't as you could see.

I have been on google to see about lessons in my area, but cannot see any. I may pop into the police Station and see if they know of any here.

One ironic thing before that encounter with that man, a traffic cop friend of mine, went past about 30 seconds before, smiled and waved !!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
You passed the test Jane :smile:
Didn't quit when a**ehole-boy got aggro. It can be disheartening when such horrible things happen but in reality the loser just needs to get a life. He probably has no friends and is unhappy with his existence... take comfort in these things :rolleyes:

Good on you for completing the ride - even when attacked by a bee!

SD

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Warning: Yellow & Black striped menace is pestering lady cyclists. He has attacked twice already and we're investigating the possibility that he has a history of offences. Suspect is 9mm long and should not be approached. If you have any information on the whereabouts of this individual, please give us a buzz on 0800CRIMESTOPPERS.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Sittingduck said:
Warning: Yellow & Black striped menace is pestering lady cyclists. He has attacked twice already and we're investigating the possibility that he has a history of offences. Suspect is 9mm long and should not be approached. If you have any information on the whereabouts of this individual, please give us a buzz on 0800CRIMESTOPPERS.

HeeHee!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL:biggrin::biggrin: Forgot to tell you I saw a HUGE dragonfly too-GORGEOUS-but at least he had the decency to go round me!!

Top Bottom