Just done some serious fettling.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs V has been complaining that her rear derailleur/free wheel has been locking up when shifting occasionally I diagnosed a weak spring on the 20 odd year old huret mech and as it had friction shifters...... I decided to upgrade with a new shimano MTB mech (ok its a late 80's ladies 'racer' from before they were called road bikes) but at £15 new including 2 new cables she didn't mind the matt black hefty look and I used butterfly levers out of the spares box (from upgrading the Viking) and I have just fitted it all and it works a treat...... Big Big Brownie points for me...... I haven't even asked for the £15 yet.....

The biggest challenge was splitting and rejoining the chain with a s*****y £3 chain tool.... I must invest in a better one.....

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Mrs V has been complaining that her rear derailleur/free wheel has been locking up when shifting occasionally I diagnosed a weak spring on the 20 odd year old huret mech and as it had friction shifters...... I decided to upgrade with a new shimano MTB mech (ok its a late 80's ladies 'racer' from before they were called road bikes) but at £15 new including 2 new cables she didn't mind the matt black hefty look and I used butterfly levers out of the spares box (from upgrading the Viking) and I have just fitted it all and it works a treat...... Big Big Brownie points for me...... I haven't even asked for the £15 yet.....

The biggest challenge was splitting and rejoining the chain with a s*****y £3 chain tool.... I must invest in a better one.....
Remove jockey wheel next time?

Top Bottom