Just finishing front end.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycle2run

Regular
Guys

Just cut down Carbon steerer, got spacers in place and stem although not yet tightened the bung.

Question, Does top cap need to sit on the stem (or a spacer as i have one above) I take it I can have a spacer sitting slightly prouder than tube but not the other way round)

Just want confirmation before i get the file out!

On a spacer to tension everything up.

OP
OP
C

cycle2run

Regular
Guys, just an update. All torqued up and spacer sorted. Ive tightened the top cap yet there is a tiny bit of play in the top spacer that sits above the stem. It sits above the top edge of the bung / bar etc but when all tightened it just leaves a tiny, tiny bit of play.

Is this OK? All seems tight, just dont fancy it coming off during riding!

OP
OP
C

cycle2run

Regular
Raleighnut

I was under the impression that the topcap bolt helped compress everything but I suppose if the stem is tightened and theres no play between spacers and fork below that stem then the stem is doing that job?

Sorry for such silly questions!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Raleighnut

I was under the impression that the topcap bolt helped compress everything but I suppose if the stem is tightened and theres no play between spacers and fork below that stem then the stem is doing that job?

Sorry for such silly questions!
Yep, the top cap simply sets the headset until the stem is tightened.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There should not be any play on the top spacer after you have torqued the top cap down.

This might sound stupid, but did you tighten the bung inside the steerer tube before fitting the stem and top cap? The reason I ask is that the expanding bung does not work like a star nut and it is easy to think that tightening the top cap alone causes the bung to expand and grip the tube. It doesn't and you will find a hex socket on the top of the bung (Not always obvious) that you use to expand the bung on fitting.

I know someone who didn't realise that and spent a week wondering why the headset wouldn't torque down properly :blush:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ha! When I started cycling with my present buddy, I picked up his Pinarello to find the headset so loose that the forks were wobbling by several inches. "Jeeze.... how long has it been like this?" I asked. "Like what?" he replied.

Top Bottom