Just For Tiddling Around

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rockn Robin

Looking for a cheap road bike for a little fun. Nothing serious at all. Came across this for sale at a local shop. Hoping to check it out later today. Perhaps some of you are going to say it's a load of . . . , but hey, I just want it for a little fun, nothing more. It's called a GMC Denali. Selling for $179. Although it shows straight bars, it actually has the drop bars. I don't think I can go wrong with it. I saw some reviews on YouTube and those that have them are quite impressed. Hey, for the money, why not. Anybody here heard of these bikes before?

GMC Road Bike.jpg

It probabaly won't be much fun for very long for that price IMO.

Check your local CRAIGSLIST and the like, second hands the way to go for that sort of money, good luck :okay:

Last edited:

PpPete

Legendary Member
At that price most of the componentry is made of cheese.
I do have one bike that I bought new at near that price but it was single speed, and even then there were some bits that desperately needed an early upgrade.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

It probabaly won't be much fun for very long for that price IMO.

Check your local CRAIGSLIST and the like, second hands the way to go for that sort of money, good luck :okay:

Absolutely. Been on there regularly. Hard to find something that is not only the right size, but doesn’t look like it’s been thrown around. You can’t help the odd scratch or two, but what I have seen, so far, looks like they’ve been used in a war zone. Generally speaking, people don’t look after things today, especially not to the degree I do.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

At that price most of the componentry is made of cheese.
I do have one bike that I bought new at near that price but it was single speed, and even then there were some bits that desperately needed an early upgrade.

If it has a decent frame, I don’t mind upgrading some when the time comes. Nice little project. I’ve looked at used bikes, and the operative word, is USED, well used. I expect to see a scratch or two, but not like it’s been used to fight a war. You wouldn’t believe what I’ve seen. So many don’t care for their things. Shame.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That Denali has got an old-style quill stem and a pressed steel triple chainset. Riding it won't be pleasant and you'll wish you'd bought something better and lighter.

One thing I noticed in that video is that it seems to have "twist grip" gear changers... That would be the deal breaker for me personally.
I paid £170 for my sons giant defy 5 secondhand a couple years ago and it was like new - there are lots of people who do look after their stuff.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

That Denali has got an old-style quill stem and a pressed steel triple chainset. Riding it won't be pleasant and you'll wish you'd bought something better and lighter.

I just now got off the phone wit the dealer who is selling it. They have one left that I don't think is my size. They won't be getting anymore in. It was mentioned that it isn't a very good bike, but if just for trips around the bloke it's OK. Nothing more than that.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I just now got off the phone wit the dealer who is selling it. They have one left that I don't think is my size. They won't be getting anymore in. It was mentioned that it isn't a very good bike, but if just for trips around the bloke it's OK. Nothing more than that.
Phew, thank god they've sold out. I thought you were going to get stuck with a real lemon there. You could get something rather more serviceable from Craig's list or a yard sale.
Amazing what you can find, even in a skip, ask @SkipdiverJohn .
Thrift stores are also a great source.

View: https://youtu.be/qXqOiheHoF0

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Phew, thank god they've sold out. I thought you were going to get stuck with a real lemon there. You could get something rather more serviceable from Craig's list or a yard sale.
Amazing what you can find, even in a skip, ask @SkipdiverJohn .
Thrift stores are also a great source.

View: https://youtu.be/qXqOiheHoF0

Yes, I totally agree with you. I will bide my time. Something will come up one day. Thank you for your concern.

Top Bottom