Just got a Kaffenback Frame & Fork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Yay! haven't bought any new cycling kit for ages. I need to reduce my bikes- partly space, plus I'm increasingly riding for transport only- and Ms P needs a better bike, so I ordered a Kaffenback frame from Planet X (super quick delivery!) and now I can break down one of my road bikes and build it up.

I think it'll look pretty nice.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
we need pics

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Headset in today, using a bit of studding, some washers and nuts from Wickes (at the time I was thinking- it's going in wonky, should've taken it to the bike shop- and then it straightened up and went in nice).

BB (eventually!) removed from donor bike and fitted to it. I got one pedal off the donor bike, the other one isn't budging (it's always the way). I'll wait until I get back to work, there's a heat gun and a vice there.

It's going to be 8-speed with just the one chainring for simplicity.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was at the LBS today and they were building a nice green Surly Pacer. I made the mistake looking at it for a while, they weren't building it for anyone in particular- they had some wheels they built that no-one collected and the frame had been on sale for 12 months with no takers. It's a 54 as well. Damn!

Ms P's bike is coming along, got to do the fitting- set the bars and saddle, cut down the steerer, find some better tyres (those 23 mm Armadillos are temporary). Might swap the left STI lever for a regular aero brake lever (or I might just leave it there like I did on my 'crosser). Rack and 'guards to find.

The rear hub is going to get a bit of an overhaul too, it doesn't sound bad but it's had a fair bit of poor-weather use and abuse.

RIMG0002-2.jpg

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Doing well with breaking down the old bike too. Today I donated the crank to build some sort of pedal-powered apple-masher. The handlebars, stem, levers, rear mech, cassette, seatpost are on the above bike. The wheels have gone onto my 'cross bike (and the 'cross bike wheels are on the Kaff).

VamP

Banned
Looking good. Where you going to keep the Pacer?

Can you point me in the direction of who makes those secure bike storage containers I see in your picture? Ta muchly.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The Kaff is working out fine for Ms P. might add some additional bar top levers and put on a bigger cassette but otherwise pretty good.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was at the LBS today and they were building a nice green Surly Pacer. I made the mistake looking at it for a while, they weren't building it for anyone in particular- they had some wheels they built that no-one collected and the frame had been on sale for 12 months with no takers. It's a 54 as well. Damn!

Amazing. Went to the LBS to browse today, just to get some ideas, and they still had that Pacer!

Nice it is. Walked out of the shop with it. Good price.

Top Bottom