Just got off my new turbo...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
What trainer make and model do you have?
Sorry for the delay. I've only just seen your question. I have a Tacx. Not sure of the number, but it's a whole wheel model. Click the bike in. I prefer that to the models with a built in axle because it makes storage easier when I've finished. Suits my style. The software is quite good. I'm not interested in Zwift, Rouvy or the other involved programmes. I've no intention of racing anyone; I just want to be able to do a decent workout when the weather is crap - like this weekend.
Yesterday I downloaded a gpx from one of my usual routes and rode that in the garage. 2.5 hours on the turbo!!!
On the subject of fans, recently got myself one of these and it's transformed the level of evaporative cooling that occurs during my turbo sessions. One of these down on the floor by the front wheel pointing up and a normal pedestal fan to the side/behind is spot on.

https://www.cleva-uk.com/products/vacmaster-air-mover
Thanks. I've not yet invested in a fan. The wind has been howling round here so I've been sat in the garage doorway and been using mother nature :wacko:

tdcadillac

P.S.
The Tacx software will work on an app on my mobile phone. No need to buy a laptop
Congrats on the EPL well deserved
question: What is the least trainer that will connect me online and have power and cadence. i am only interested to improve myself and looking for one that has a power but don't want to spend a lot. I want to do online ride but not competition

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Congrats on the EPL well deserved
If that's for me thanks, but I've no idea what an EPL is. Didn't know I'd done anything special.
question: What is the least trainer that will connect me online and have power and cadence. i am only interested to improve myself and looking for one that has a power but don't want to spend a lot. I want to do online ride but not competition
My Tacx shows all that. Power, calories, speed, angle of ascent and cadence are automatic. I'm not anal enough to bother how accurate the info is. All turbo riding is artificial.
I don't have a cadence sensor but do have HRM and that took less than 30 seconds for the software to register it.

tdcadillac

If that's for me thanks, but I've no idea what an EPL is. Didn't know I'd done anything special.

My Tacx shows all that. Power, calories, speed, angle of ascent and cadence are automatic. I'm not anal enough to bother how accurate the info is. All turbo riding is artificial.
I don't have a cadence sensor but do have HRM and that took less than 30 seconds for the software to register it.
what is the model of your Tacx?

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
what is the model of your Tacx?
It's a Tacx 2240.
Pretty low down the evolutionary trail, but as I'm not training to take over from a certain C. Froome it's good enough for me. I went up Col du Glandon on it on Monday!!!
The turbos vary in what they do and the astronomic prices asked for them, but the software is the same if you spend £200 (as I did) or £1200 for the top of the range.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
The Tacx T2240 is great for the money - had mine over 4 years since breaking my spine. Works well enough for me.
I like it because I can leave the wheel in my bike when using it, then fold the turbo away after use. Don't like the idea of the higher up the range models where you have to take your wheel out, then you have a great lump of machinery sat there and it always seems to be in the way.
I also like the Tacx software because you ride with proper video clips of real roads showing. I don't like the simulated ones with digitally drawn roads, and spectral cyclists all over the place. It just looks so false.

si_c

Guru
Another fan of the T2240 here - I bought mine in 2017 as a recovery tool after breaking my shoulder (again) and it was great - in some ways I prefer it to the Flux 2 I have now. That being said I couldn't really justify two turbos so sold it on to another CCer.

si_c

Guru
I like it because I can leave the wheel in my bike when using it, then fold the turbo away after use. Don't like the idea of the higher up the range models where you have to take your wheel out, then you have a great lump of machinery sat there and it always seems to be in the way.
I also like the Tacx software because you ride with proper video clips of real roads showing. I don't like the simulated ones with digitally drawn roads, and spectral cyclists all over the place. It just looks so false.
Yeah that was a plus when I had mine but after a couple of weeks I ended up leaving it up with the bike on it anyway and used a spare wheel for a turbo tyre. The end result was no different from my direct drive trainer aside from now having one wheel fewer floating around.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Yeah that was a plus when I had mine but after a couple of weeks I ended up leaving it up with the bike on it anyway and used a spare wheel for a turbo tyre. The end result was no different from my direct drive trainer aside from now having one wheel fewer floating around.
Funny you should say that. I'm using my winter bike on it with a spare wheel and tubo tyre, but as its summer(allegedly) I'm not on it every day so do put the bike back and fold up the turbo. I need the space in the garage.
In winter guess I'll be doing lots of wheel swappings.

Top Bottom