Just got off my new turbo...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well it's second hand but new to me.
Not had a turbo since the last century and the only ones available are what are now called dumb trainers. Clip some instructions to your bars and off you go.

This is a Tacx, and I've just ridden 15 miles round London. Could have been anywhere because I couldn't see a damned thing for sweat running in my eyes:cry::cry:

I'd forgotten just how much sweat these things generate. And this route is an easy one. Will I ever get to the hard routes? Do I want to?

Does it get easier or will I just get used to it?

P.S. How do you stand up on the pedals? There must be a technique:unsure::unsure::unsure:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A big fan is needed, or ride outdoors.

My 15yo can stand up and sprint easy on a turbo, I find it harder. I'm guessing it's age, not that I weigh 20kg more. Or that's my reason :tongue:

steverob

Guru
Things that have made the difference for me in making my Zwift life more enjoyable:
1) Getting a big fan
2) Buying some headbands - doesn't matter what you look like, the sweat issue is much reduced once you're wearing one
3) Getting another fan - not kidding, multiple fans, especially having one behind you, are exponentially better than just one!

I have to turn the resistance up on the turbo to have the resistance to stand, at lower resistances I find it impossible. My turbo is a Elite Axion and have never got near the top resistance level, at 11 stone my weight is not enough to turn it.
For cooling I have 2 Evaporative coolers, ( Diet Symphony 22 ltr) they blow air across a porous material which trickles water down it .

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
I tried standing but couldn't get used to the bike being fixed under me. Suppose I throw it around a bit on the road.
Sounds like a fan is next on the list.

si_c

Guru
I had horrendous problems when I got my first turbo, like you a fair amount of sweat and that was with a fan.

I got an 18" fan which pushes about 5000cfm which helped although I'm thinking about adding a second one so that both sides get good cooling :laugh:

+1 for the second (or third) fan behind you :okay:

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Well I've just ridden round Central London. 15 miles. Average speed was 23mph. I guess Lunnun traffic would stop that in real life, and I've never ridden that fast since I gave up Time Trials. That speed is 30% above what I can do if I'm hammering it, so I'm going to take that sort of data with a big pinch of salt.

CXRAndy

Guru
Solo TT bike with accurate Power meter turbo is quite close to real speed. Riding in a group is a little bit exaggerated in speed

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Well I've just ridden round Central London. 15 miles. Average speed was 23mph. I guess Lunnun traffic would stop that in real life, and I've never ridden that fast since I gave up Time Trials. That speed is 30% above what I can do if I'm hammering it, so I'm going to take that sort of data with a big pinch of salt.

Don‘t forget central London is flat so 23 mph should be fairly easy when there’s no traffic or stopping fir junctions required.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Weather was against going out today so I rode a course in Central France. Moderately hilly but I still averaged 20.1 mph.
I can't ride that speed on the flat roads round here. But I did like the traffic free roads:okay:

Top Bottom