Just had my first incident! RAGE!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I saw well done on scaring the wits out of them, although I know it's better to stay calm.

Did you go back and pick up the loose change though? Might have been enough for a Mars bar...:smile:

dodgy

CJ87 said:
Dodgy do you really think I need to change my helmet? I'm using a cheap Giro Transfer, it did hit the car pretty hard although doesn't appear to be any damage other than a pretty large scuff on the back?

Hard for any of us to know, but if you threw it with enough force to scuff the helmet, it's at least worth thinking about (ignoring the fact that there's an ongoing debate about the worthiness of helmets in the first place!). The general concensus is that a damaged helmet (motorcycle or bicycle) has a potentially damaged integrity.
Again, impossible for any of us to judge, we weren't there, thankfully :smile:
Dave.

OP
OP
C

CJ87

Arch said:
I saw well done on scaring the wits out of them, although I know it's better to stay calm.

Did you go back and pick up the loose change though? Might have been enough for a Mars bar...:smile:

Haha I didn't, although judging by the amount of shrapnel that hit my helmet I'd say there was at least 25 pences worth! I didn't say yesterday as I am trying to give up smoking all together but as I was going nuts one of the lads lit up a cigarette, being uber stressed and angry I demanded one and to be fair he duly obliged and gave me a light, think I may of come across as a complete psycho! Thanks for the heads up though, 'note to self - next time collect free money'.
Chris

OP
OP
C

CJ87

dodgy said:
Hard for any of us to know, but if you threw it with enough force to scuff the helmet, it's at least worth thinking about (ignoring the fact that there's an ongoing debate about the worthiness of helmets in the first place!). The general concensus is that a damaged helmet (motorcycle or bicycle) has a potentially damaged integrity.
Again, impossible for any of us to judge, we weren't there, thankfully :smile:
Dave.

Hmm thats interesting, I'll have a look at her later when I get a spare minute, not sure if I can afford to replace it straight away though, unfortunately as a student most of my money is tied up in other, more liquid things!

dodgy

CJ87 said:
Hmm thats interesting, I'll have a look at her later when I get a spare minute, not sure if I can afford to replace it straight away though, unfortunately as a student most of my money is tied up in other, more liquid things!

Well, you've got to get your priorities right :angry: :smile:

Dave.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
CJ87 said:
Thanks guys, I think I will be adding a small pen and paper to my pack in the near future.
My local post office does a "police style" notebook for £1-£1.50 ish - has a stiff card back (so that you don't need anything to lean on when you write), lined paper, elastic to hold it closed/mark your place and a loop for a little pencil (it comes with one). I'd assume that Post Office counters use the same supplier, so you can probably grab one locally to you.

I keep mine in a tri-bag (clips to your top tube/steerer) so that it's accessible without rooting in a jersey pocket or rucksack. It's handy as an idiot book, and for giving/taking details if needed.

OP
OP
C

CJ87

Thanks for the heads up mate, I have to pop down the post office tomorrow to send some stuff I've just sold on ebay, I'll have a look, cheers!

Blue

Legendary Member
This sort of thing happened to me a year or two ago. I didn't have a pen/paper but was able to record make & reg on my mobile - like a name/number really.

Always handy to carry a mobile in case you get stranded or end up lying in a ditch!

OP
OP
C

CJ87

kushtrim said:
underclass?????? that is language that should not be used no matter how stupid these guy were acting

I'd say spitting at and assaulting a total stranger completely unprovoked is definately the domain of the underclass

CJ87 said:
Haha I didn't, although judging by the amount of shrapnel that hit my helmet I'd say there was at least 25 pences worth! I didn't say yesterday as I am trying to give up smoking all together but as I was going nuts one of the lads lit up a cigarette, being uber stressed and angry I demanded one and to be fair he duly obliged and gave me a light, think I may of come across as a complete psycho! Thanks for the heads up though, 'note to self - next time collect free money'.
Chris

LOFL .. now that's ****ed up

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
CJ,

I think that you've taken exactly the right course of action. There is little that the police would have been able to do to them which would have had a deterrent effect, but you scared them and that will have an impact. Each will have noticed how the other was reduced to the silly little coward he actually is and so instinctively they will be more reluctant to kick the same procedure off again. As it happens you also kept the moral high ground by not thumping them.

I had something slightly similar, altough not as bad, once happen to me when a car turned right across my path when I had right of way, causing me to skid and nearly come off. The driver laughed and drove off. I guessed he was on his way to the local supermarket and so leisurely went off after him. Sure enough there was his car. So I waited for him and his wife to get back in the car, went up to the vehicle, tapped on the window and said, "Let me introduce myself: I'm the bloke you could have killed back there" and proceeded very forcefully but very calmly to lecture him on his driving. All the while he was trembling, really scared. His wife just kept giving him a "told you so" sort of look. I suspect that this was an effective course of action as yours.

Well done!

Just has to add my "well done mate". Brave but right thing to do and justified in losing it a bit. Cant keep taking crap for ever.

Interesting I get a bit of a different reaction with my two bikes.
Racer with me in mildly bikish gear and pushing on a bit I tend to not get abuse.
Fold up with me in my work gear I am the lowest of the low. A bit of abuse but more looked on with contempt and they just ignore me and walk or drive out in front of me. Even some bike riders look right through me!

Top Bottom