Just had to say.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I feel so bad for young families starting up in life today. What chance do they have with house prices out of their reach and super high rents on properties coupled with ever higher energy prices. Food prices are also going through the roof. What a crazy world we live in where profits is the only criteria.
Although I will also suffer from most of the above, I am glad I was born when I was and don't envy youngsters at all.
When will this spiral of ever increasing prices stop ? How much more can we take?
I don't have an answer to that but I am worried.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The only thing that matters is the profit over everything, life included sadly.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I remember when I was a child in the 60s, French tv kept saying that nuclear energy was the way to go as it will produce cheap electricity.
Now we have solar and wind power which are also supposed to also produce cheap and clean electricity.
I think we are constantly being taken for a ride and conned by all politicians and big private companies.
Money and profits will always come first.

si_c

Guru
Now we have solar and wind power which are also supposed to also produce cheap and clean electricity.
They do produce electricity significantly cheaper than Oil/Gas/Coal/Nuclear, however the spot price for electricity is determined by the sources that provide the best baseline - in the case of the UK that's Gas. It doesn't even help if the gas comes mainly from UK sources either as the pricing there is determined by the European Market pricing.

The issue with gas is that it's being considered as a "low carbon" transition fuel, meaning it's replacing dirtier fuels such as coal and oil across Europe, this means increased demand for it but no real new sources. This is likely to continue for some time.

It's not just youngsters. There are a lot of middle-aged and elderly people with families, or on their own, on minimum wages or very low pensions, and everyone in these groups is going to be very hard hit by rising prices, especially energy.

Will no one think of the pensioners?! :angry:
You don't come across as struggling to pay your bills though do you?

Can't really post daily about eating out, caravan holidays and your recent windfall then moan about being a 'pensioner '.

I'm sure you deserve your luxuries and I would never for one minute begrudge anyone enjoying their retirement but don't make out you're hard done to.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
You don't come across as struggling to pay your bills though do you?

Can't really post daily about eating out, caravan holidays and your recent windfall then moan about being a 'pensioner '.

I'm sure you deserve your luxuries and I would never for one minute begrudge anyone enjoying their retirement but don't make out you're hard done to.
You don't recognise irony then? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom