Just How Fast Could A.R.Engers Have Gone ? - Using {MTAF}

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
I suppose it is a bit like asking how fast would David Bedford be on a modern day "springy" track with modern day spikes.

NB. David Bedford was the first name that came into my head after seeing a Bedford CA van in the pictures above, other 70's 80's runners are available.

Edit. On closer inspection it may be a Comma van!

a.twiddler

Veteran
Surely it is a bit like surmising how fast any top riders might be if bicycle development had not been effectively frozen in time and they had been allowed to use more fully developed frames rather than tinkering round the edges of the established upright diamond frame concept? Lower, more aerodynamic designs, maybe the allowing of a certain amount amount of streamlining. All on a level playing field of course. I am not even going to use the "R" word. Otherwise as someone with not a lot of interest in competitive cycling it seems to me that it's just splitting hairs.

OP
OP
Anthony.R.Brown

Anthony.R.Brown

Surely it is a bit like surmising how fast any top riders might be if bicycle development had not been effectively frozen in time and they had been allowed to use more fully developed frames rather than tinkering round the edges of the established upright diamond frame concept? Lower, more aerodynamic designs, maybe the allowing of a certain amount amount of streamlining. All on a level playing field of course. I am not even going to use the "R" word. Otherwise as someone with not a lot of interest in competitive cycling it seems to me that it's just splitting hairs.

30 years ago you needed around 250 watts to do a 60 minute 25, now you can do it on around 200.

The magic number for average power over CdA is still 1000 for a 60 minute 25 TT on an ordinary course.

Today's TT CdAs are around 0.2000 or less, 30 years ago you would be looking at 0.2500.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The hour record for recumbent aero designs is 92km. TT bikes have a long way to go to get proper aero.
About time recumbents were allowed in time trials. It would add a great deal of interest and the speeds the best riders in the world could achieve would be phenomenal.

But of course the geriatrics at the UCI tend to recoil in horror if people use bikes that don't mirror what they themselves rode as teenagers, unable to comprehend that the world needs to move on.

classic33

Leg End Member
About time recumbents were allowed in time trials. It would add a great deal of interest and the speeds the best riders in the world could achieve would be phenomenal.

But of course the geriatrics at the UCI tend to recoil in horror if people use bikes that don't mirror what they themselves rode as teenagers, unable to comprehend that the world needs to move on.
The difference between them, in speed, is what got the UCI to ban them.

Indeed the UCI riders didn’t like being second best.

The riders were not second best, the cycles they were riding were just less aerodynamic than conventional upright cycles.

I am coming at this issue as neither a time triallist, nor a recumbent rider and I can never understand this ongoing argument. A recumbent is faster than a conventional on the flat or downhill because it is more aerodynamic and if one accepts that what is the problem in not recognising them for UCI races?

The aim of these races is not to be the fastest on two wheels but the fastest on a UCI approved bike. AIUI the rules are constantly tweaked to make it as near as possible to a level playing field so that riders on one type of machine do not have an intrinsic advantage. The UCI needs to get and keep people interested in cycling and time trialling as a sport, riders and fans, and to do this they need bikes that the racers and fans like to ride and watch ride, can identify with, and sponsors want to support. For all their undoubted speed advantages in some situations the overwhelming majority of cyclists do not ride recumbents nor are they interested in watching people race them. People enter races to try to win and if there was little likelihood of doing so in a mixed bike time trial less people would get involved or take part and a time trial with a handful of recumbents in it would not exactly keep the sport alive.

Top Bottom