Just How Fast Could A.R.Engers Have Gone ? - Using {MTAF}

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Anthony.R.Brown

Anthony.R.Brown

The riders were not second best, the cycles they were riding were just less aerodynamic than conventional upright cycles.

I am coming at this issue as neither a time triallist, nor a recumbent rider and I can never understand this ongoing argument. A recumbent is faster than a conventional on the flat or downhill because it is more aerodynamic and if one accepts that what is the problem in not recognising them for UCI races?

The aim of these races is not to be the fastest on two wheels but the fastest on a UCI approved bike. AIUI the rules are constantly tweaked to make it as near as possible to a level playing field so that riders on one type of machine do not have an intrinsic advantage. The UCI needs to get and keep people interested in cycling and time trialling as a sport, riders and fans, and to do this they need bikes that the racers and fans like to ride and watch ride, can identify with, and sponsors want to support. For all their undoubted speed advantages in some situations the overwhelming majority of cyclists do not ride recumbents nor are they interested in watching people race them. People enter races to try to win and if there was little likelihood of doing so in a mixed bike time trial less people would get involved or take part and a time trial with a handful of recumbents in it would not exactly keep the sport alive.

The problem I see with allowing mixed racing is that motorists etc. might get used to seeing normal upright Cyclists,but not notice the recumbent's as they are so low to the ground ? especially HGV drivers :sad:

uh oh ...

classic33

Leg End Member
The problem I see with allowing mixed racing is that motorists etc. might get used to seeing normal upright Cyclists,but not notice the recumbent's as they are so low to the ground ? especially HGV drivers :sad:
I have no trouble being seen by HGV drivers, or any driver if they are actually looking. Be it on one, two three or four wheels.

Just don't stray to close to the centre of the road.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Mixing recumbents & upright cycles (or even trike & bikes) in massed-start racing would be pretty dangerous whether on closed roads or not. Nothing to do with other traffic.

OP
OP
Anthony.R.Brown

Anthony.R.Brown

Alf is a top man. He was treated badly by the authorities at the time. I knew him in his triathlon days - he always had time to advise, coach and encourage. He even gave me a few of his old Unity CC jerseys (I was a member at the time). For the first time ever, I am in 100% with @SkipdiverJohn

Alf is a star. Forget about the hypotheticals.

Yes Rocky a top man at the Top of his game! :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

How on earth they cope with being unable to see the lower half of upright cyclists no one knows. Perhaps riding at night should be banned as well, as lights on upright cycles are mounted lower than the top of someone riding a recumbent?

You really shouldn’t peddle such nonsense.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Mixing recumbents & upright cycles (or even trike & bikes) in massed-start racing would be pretty dangerous whether on closed roads or not. Nothing to do with other traffic.
It probably would be, but in time trials it wouldn't be an issue. I think it would add a lot of interest in pro races too, attracting a curious casual viewer who would not otherwise bother.

'Bents are only expensive at the moment because they are made in limited numbers, there is otherwise nothing about the design or materials which makes them more difficult to produce than conventional machines.

I'd love to see how fast Engers could have gone on one in his prime.

Top Bottom