Just Jane. A great project.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
In any case, you'd have to be crazy to want to complete three tours as above.
I don't think he actually wanted to do three tours. ;)

I've been to the museum, it was June 2004, sadly I've not been since
I will take my father-in-law there

It's incredible just how close you can get, as the Merlins are fired up in turn

You can, if you want to pay, have a ride, during the taxy runs
https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/lancaster-taxy-rides/taxy-ride-experience-1.htm

Lincolnshire Aviation Museum 1.  First Sight.JPG

Lincolnshire Aviation Museum 4. P 9G.JPG

Lincolnshire Aviation Museum 10. Rear Gunners Turret.JPG

Lincolnshire Aviation Museum 12..JPG

Lincolnshire Aviation Museum 16. Preparing To Start.JPG

Lincolnshire Aviation Museum 20. Starting Engine 4.JPG

Lincolnshire Aviation Museum 21. On The Move.JPG

Lincolnshire Aviation Museum 30. Spitfire 3.JPG

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I went to Duxford once a day after the huge air show. All the planes were being made ready to return home or country but the owners were very chatty and I got up close to some iconic aircraft and allowed to look inside. I keep meaning to do it again at some point. Beat the huge crowds on the show days.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I wish someone would rebuild a Halifax (and a Beaufighter). Apart from being able to carry bigger bombs, I don't see what the Lancaster had over the Halifax. The Halifax did not share a design flaw of the Lancaster: escape hatches too small for big men with parachutes to bale out of.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
One of my favourite quirky aircraft is the Beaufighter. Stirling did a good job early on too. I seem to remember reading there are none of those left at all.

Stirlings had some major problems compared to the Halifax and Lanc
The bomb bay could take a fair weight of bombs but a main spar divided it so that the biggest bomb it could carry was far smaller

Also, due to the requirements when it was designed it's maximum ceiling was quite a bit lower than the other 3 engine bombers - which made it more vulnerable to flack - and made bombing rather nerve racking (by which I mean EVEN more) because they were bombing in the same area as the others - but lower - hence the bombs from the Halifaxs and Lancasters were falling (hopefully) past them on their bombing run
There were a lot of reports of Stirlings being hit by bombs from other aircraft

A the low ceiling was due to a rather short but deep wing rather than a long narrow wing - which resulted in the low ceiling - but also a wonderful turning performance - I have heard that it could out turn a spitfire!!!

Oh - and they also had a habit of being found with the undercarrige collapsed after being parked for a while - which was inconvenient!!

They were very unpolular with high command and had to be withdrawn from bombing raids after a while due to the above problems

It always amazes me the amount of combined knowledge all the CC'ers have.
I'm full of knowledge

mostly useless

if you want someone to configure and boot a BULL MOD400 DPS6 computer then I know everything needed
of course - they were totally unreliable, hardly anyone ever used them and they became totally useless as soon as Year 2000 started

but I can still remember how to configure and program them

and, of course, loads of other stuff

how you change the time on our current over - not so sure :laugh:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Talking of post war bombers I got a shock when I looked around a B-52 I think it was at Duxford.
The fuselage looked like a old garden shed. Apparently it's because the pressurisation straightens it out once at altitude.
1613843151457.png

Still in service today and for the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom