Just Jane. A great project.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Great.
But is there a non Daily Vile link ?

Amazing story and an amazing aeroplane. If we hadn’t of had it the war would have gone on for many more years. Full respect to the lads that flew them knowing their chances of survival were slim.
yes - I have seen some statements from some folks (born postwar) from some folks born in countries that would have been under these things that say the crews were cowards, as if you just flew off and dropped stuff with impunity. In truth of course 50 per cent didn't make it to the war's end. I find it incredible that folk volunteered for this.
Another memory from the RAF museum though this involved american crews.
There's a letter or something from a US airman telling folks that their tour of duty (number of flights before being relieved) had gone up. It went up to a figure beyond the number of missions you were likely to on AVERAGE survive. If you were lucky, Which meant that from now on crews felt like they were on death's row. No coming back to this world.

I was at Hullavington back in the 70's . There was an Aeromodeller Nationals going on at the time and a friend and I had gone over to watch them . Just Jane was in camouflage at the time with a different registration and minus the dorsal turret .
We were amazed to see it taxi out of the hanger on the second day, a large crowd gathered around it before it ran down a runway and took off .
I have some pictures of it somewhere. I will post them soon .

winjim

Smash the cistern
For anyone wondering, a Lancaster tour was thirty ops. My grandfather flew twenty eight, mostly in J for Johnnie Walker, before the war ended.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I recently got a (considerably smaller) Lancaster project. An unfinished 44" span electric free flight model.
Maybe I'll finish it as Just Jane.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Another memory from the RAF museum though this involved american crews.
There's a letter or something from a US airman telling folks that their tour of duty (number of flights before being relieved) had gone up. It went up to a figure beyond the number of missions you were likely to on AVERAGE survive. If you were lucky, Which meant that from now on crews felt like they were on death's row. No coming back to this world.
This was also the central theme in Catch 22.

Top Bottom