Just ordered a new camera for the bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
..and if it works well also to try in various family member's cars.

The camera is an M10. You may not know it but its quite new. It is certainly no GoPro but for £70 delivered you cant complain. I like the fact its small and takes the same fittings as the Gopro (I already possess a Hero 2 HD), does 1080p and has a screen.

I had been using the Camsports 720p bullet-style camera but its now about 4 years old and developing issues such as the plastic casing is now breaking up. Given the abuse its had I'm not surprised. Its covered in tape to protect it from the rain but even so I dont trust it too much now.

Why am I using cameras? No I'm not a "vigilante" or "out to get drivers" as some Daily Mail types seem to think these days.. I've just had a few too many close calls and a few people being directly abusive towards me that I feel I NEED for the camera to protect myself again. What I find worrying is how little interest the Police have shown recently - even with evidence. I can however say from experience that a driver's insurer isnt quite as damning. I think that all riders need to start working out in their minds about how they can protect their right to ride and that of others.

The camera is simply a tool that can help facilitate our right. I don't believe the "just get on, ignore and enjoy your ride" approach is working. In fact it seems to be empowering some people's attitudes against us.

Drago

Legendary Member
How does a camera protect you from being twatted or abused?

I protect my right to ride by getting out and riding. The number of active cyclists is increasing at its fastest rate for 2 generations, so there doesn't seem to be any realistic prospect of us being forced off the highways any time soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

I protect my right to ride by getting out and riding. The number of active cyclists is increasing at its fastest rate for 2 generations, so there doesn't seem to be any realistic prospect of us being forced off the highways any time soon.

And yet we remain at 2% of all traffic. We havent increased. They may be increasing in London but not here. We struggle to recruit because people wont drive with courtesy. Who said it would stop me from being twatted? It would however mean the idiot last week that tried to deliberately knock me off would have been caught on camera.

I know you have this fondness for being abrasive but do you not think you could be doing something proactive instead? I get out and I ride. It isnt stopping the idiots, only being proactive with evidence will.

Not at the time but had 2 bus companies and once the police deal with dangerous driving based on video which otherwise would have been ignored.

You take it off your handle bars/ helmet and throw it at them before the neds/chavs have a chance too, its particularly affective if its an old ATC camera ;)

One argument against cameras, is some folk see the video and get put off cycling but other arguments are pro, evidence that gets another nutter off the road or educates driver who don't really know the externalities of their actions. Its a bit like the helmet debate to me and I don't really care just as long as folk with cameras are happy. Let us know what you think of the M10 @downfader :thumbsup:

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
After regular attempts by the prat who lives down the road to occupy the same bit of tarmac I'm on I have started seriously to look at buying a cam. I could only afford one, and I'm not sure whether to put it front or back of bike. I don't like the idea of having it on my helmet.

Advice?

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
After regular attempts by the prat who lives down the road to occupy the same bit of tarmac I'm on I have started seriously to look at buying a cam. I could only afford one, and I'm not sure whether to put it front or back of bike. I don't like the idea of having it on my helmet.

Advice?

K Edge do saddle rail mounts for those cameras that use the GoPro style of fitting. Some of the SJ models in the techmoan review also fit the GoPro mounts, they're about £30-40 plus import duties on top, or £55ish if ordering from a UK ebay/amazon supplier. If you avoid WIFI options that lowers the cost. If you go for a lower resolution of 720p or under that lowers the cost further.

Some people are also selling second hand older models for anything down to a tenner. I know I shifted an unloved AEE MD80s minicam for £8 on ebay recently. Polaroid and Vivitar have also made good cameras in the past up to 720p so they're worth a look at on the used market.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
Schumacher comes to mind
That seems to be no more than speculation at the moment, but in any case isn't the reason for me, I just don't want an obvious camera.
K Edge do saddle rail mounts for those cameras that use the GoPro style of fitting. Some of the SJ models in the techmoan review also fit the GoPro mounts, they're about £30-40 plus import duties on top, or £55ish if ordering from a UK ebay/amazon supplier. If you avoid WIFI options that lowers the cost. If you go for a lower resolution of 720p or under that lowers the cost further.

Some people are also selling second hand older models for anything down to a tenner. I know I shifted an unloved AEE MD80s minicam for £8 on ebay recently. Polaroid and Vivitar have also made good cameras in the past up to 720p so they're worth a look at on the used market.
Which means you think I should have one front and back? I also have no room on the handlebars. Should I lose the bell?

Drago

Legendary Member
I do understand that a camera may assist in a prosecution/getting even after the event, but it does zero to save you from a kicking or a good gobshiteing.

If our OP feels it will help "protect" (the word he used) himself he's going to be very mistaken. In that regard its as much use as a lucky rabbits foot.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Which means you think I should have one front and back? I also have no room on the handlebars. Should I lose the bell?

It depends how the prat is approaching. Is he buzzing you from behind, or darting on to your side of the road from the contraflow? If the latter a forward facing cam would suffice.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I do understand that a camera may assist in a prosecution/getting even after the event, but it does zero to save you from a kicking or a good gobshiteing.

If our OP feels it will help "protect" (the word he used) himself he's going to be very mistaken. In that regard its as much use as a lucky rabbits foot.
You're assuming I meant protection against violence like a shield or a wand. I did not. I meant protection from the legal counterattack of his or her word against mine. A camera provides that.

I am more than able to physically defend myself, I dont see why I should need to.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
It depends how the prat is approaching. Is he buzzing you from behind, or darting on to your side of the road from the contraflow? If the latter a forward facing cam would suffice.
Its always from behind, so maybe I'll go rear facing for now. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the M10, the Techmoan review seems very favourable. I'll also check out secondhand, thanks for that suggestion.

Top Bottom