Just removed a stuck seatpost.... what a job!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I put the top of the post in my neighbour's big vice and we twisted the frame. Mrs Gti next door said the squawking noise sounded like we were torturing a duck! Got the post freed but getting it out was another matter as it took 20 minutes to get about 10 mm out. So I went and fetched the Land Rover jack and wedged that between the vice and the frame then gave it a ton or so of pressure..... out it came PDQ.

Filed the marks off the post, polished it up.... good as new! Reamed out the seat tube and greased everything, job done. My cycling pal owes me a pint!

Slioch

Guru
Can you do mine as well please? :sad:

I'll buy you two pints, and chuck in a bag of nuts as well.

gbb

Legendary Member
That description 'squawking' is just right, like a tortured thousand year old rusty hinge. You'd never believe the frame could survive listening to it...been there...:whistle:

I put the top of the post in my neighbour's big vice and we twisted the frame. Mrs Gti next door said the squawking noise sounded like we were torturing a duck! Got the post freed but getting it out was another matter as it took 20 minutes to get about 10 mm out. So I went and fetched the Land Rover jack and wedged that between the vice and the frame then gave it a ton or so of pressure..... out it came PDQ.

Filed the marks off the post, polished it up.... good as new! Reamed out the seat tube and greased everything, job done. My cycling pal owes me a pint!
This is hilarious. Was there much blood?

As a matter of interest, where and how did you anchor the jack? On the frame's seat post collar?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have exactly the same combo and no problems whatsoever. I hope it stays that way.
I just went and checked - all ok. I noticed that the nose of my saddle was 1 or 2 mm left of where it should have been so I loosened the post and made sure that it turned freely, then realigned the saddle.

I just went and checked - all ok. I noticed that the nose of my saddle was 1 or 2 mm left of where it should have been so I loosened the post and made sure that it turned freely, then realigned the saddle.
I expected as much. Mine has been giving me no trouble for 20 years I think. CAAD4, bought when it was the latest and greatest.

zacklaws

Guru
It took me three hours to twist one out once with little quarter turns back and forth, the worst part was when I pushed down on it and it went back into the frame easy peasy, then I had to struggle again from scratch. These days after learning a hard lesson I check all my bikes often especially if I have been out in the wet.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
This is hilarious. Was there much blood?

As a matter of interest, where and how did you anchor the jack? On the frame's seat post collar?

The vice is big enough that I could rest the front wheels on the jaws and jack upwards against a piece of timber under the rear end of the top tube, right next to the seat tube where there is a group of three very solid cable end stops. Jacking tended to push the front of the frame upwards but I had enough leverage holding the head tube down that the jack was able to exert considerable upward pressure, lifting the frame off the seat tube as I wiggled it.

No blood though.

I'm so inspired by this success that I've volunteered to have a go at my buddy's old steel Pinarello, which has its alloy seat post really rusted solid.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I expected as much. Mine has been giving me no trouble for 20 years I think. CAAD4, bought when it was the latest and greatest.
Mine is a CAAD5. Great bikes ... It makes me wonder how good the latest Cannondales and other top-end bikes must be. Presumably, the law of diminishing returns had already set in by the time they got to CAAD4/5? If not, then the latest bikes must be amazingly good!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is the Synapse descended from those? A Synapse disc is at the top of my "next bike" list at the moment.

Top Bottom