Just slammed the stem again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi
About a year or so ago, my new to me road bike took a little getting used to. I was having trouble with Pins and Needless in my hands and general discomfort all round. After many tweeks to the saddle hight and numerous other things, i found flipping the stem was the only way to solving my issues.
Even though its now comfortable, the bike does look rather odd looking and have been thinking of slamming the stem once again..
This month (may) I've done some crazy amount of miles (1000 in total) and can't help notice that i spend most of them riding on the drops.
Tonight I've taken the plunge again and slammed the stem hoping my old bones and body will forgive me.
I may be deluding myself, but my thinking is that now I'm somewhat fitter and stronger i will hopefully be able to enjoy my bike in the more aggressive position without discomfort. As average ride speeds have crept up to around 18 mph I have really noticed the affects of headwinds out on my jollies, and hope that a slammed stem will help me along that little bit quicker. Looking at other roadie cyclists bikes, I've yet to see one with a flipped stem. Tomorrow I'll give it a try out and see how i get on with it.
All very best 👍

Sharky

Guru
I would agree with you, that a flipped stem looks bit odd on road bike. However on one of my bikes, I fitted a zero degrees rise stem. This actually gives a very slight uplift, but doesn't look out of place.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
@SkipdiverJohn
The reason why is because we are all different and enjoy cycling for different reasons. I enjoy trying to push myself that little harder (with questionable results) whilst others cycle for there own reasons and pleasure.
I however accept others reasons and do not judge them.
Cycle Chat has many different sections catering from Commuting, Touring and MTB. There's members here who ride trikes, to tandems and from the insanely expensive bike to the cheapest of cheap. We are different and should not judge others for what they want out of cycling. The diversity of cycling is what makes it so great and interesting.
Please don't be so judge mental on others that ride from different reasons to you

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
At my peak I was pushing out 18 mph average over 50 miles and tbf, with all respect it's no good anyone telling you ...'just relax and enjoy the ride, the pushing, the speeds, the sweat is what you enjoy, immensely. It passed for me but while you're in that zone, its everything and enjoyable.

This month (may) I've done some crazy amount of miles (1000 in total) and can't help notice that i spend most of them riding on the drops.
Tonight I've taken the plunge again and slammed the stem hoping my old bones and body will forgive me.
If that's correct, then you can certainly ride with a lower stem (dunno how much lower, though ...)

(I'm a firm believer in using all/most the positions on drop bars - and I believe most folks who never ride in the drops have probably got them setup too low! )

Venod

Eh up
Even though its now comfortable, the bike does look rather odd looking and have been thinking of slamming the stem once again
Looking at other roadie cyclists bikes, I've yet to see one with a flipped stem.

Please don't take this as criticism, but to me it seems you are more concerned about the look of the bike than the comfort of it, The first quote nails it on the head,

By all means lower the stem to its lowest position (slammed is not a word I use) ) but be honest, if its uncomfortable put it in a comfortable position, you will enjoy your riding more,

I had a CX bike with a very short headtube the only way I was comfortable on it was with a flipped stem, this put the position of the bars identical with my other bike.

Spacers and flipping stems are all part of getting a correct setup, I would put my emphasis on comfort over looks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Absolutely. If its uncomfortable i will revert it back again to the more comfortable position. It's only a 10 minute job to do. It will be interesting to see though if the many miles of cycling has actually "conditioned" my old body into being able to ride it though without any undue problems 👍👍

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm riding my shopper/ tourer bike with panniers, I generally average 14mph solo and 12mph with the wife. I used to trundle along at 18-20mph on my road bike(Tripster adventure). I actually like, no enjoy the slower pace. I don't need to go as far to get 2-3 hours riding.

My Tripster is still in the box from a short foreign holiday in March.

Venod

Eh up
I am having a bit of a stem dilema at the moment, the top tube dimensions on my new bike are exactly the same as my most comfortable bike, but the hydraulic brifters are a bit longer and the reach on the bars is a bit longer, so with the same length stem as my other bike I have them set 10mm higher to get a similar feel, I am going to try a 10mm shorter stem to try and replicate the exact position of my other bike.
I am very much an on the hoods rider, only on the drops into strong headwinds.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hiya , Could you take a pic of this , I’m not sure what a slammed stem is , but on my roadie I to get pins and needles occasionally
Cheers
My phone camera has got a dirty big scratch on the lens and is useless at taking images sorry. If you look at stem they usually stick away from the bike in a level position.. By undoing the top allen bolt and the two Allen bolts on the back of the stem it can removed off the fork steerer. The bar's will have to be taken off too.
The stem will then lift off the steerer tube and when flipped over, the angle of it will be pointing upwards. With the bars refitted the overall cycling position means your position on the bike will put more of your weight onto the saddle and less through your hands on the bars. In other words you will be be riding more upright. I'm sure someone here will be better than me to explain it.

Top Bottom