Just started...nearly came a croper!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Also when will the feeling that im constantly going to be killed by traffic go away? :smile:
In a couple of months, give or take ... if you stick at it. Master your commute first, then try different routes.
Always be vigilant, but if something scary happens (like a tumble) don't stop riding for more than a couple of days. :thumbsup:
If possible, try a quieter route to work even if it's a longer one.
I used to be really scared of riding the roads.

RWright

Guru
I had a Raleigh bicycle about 25 years ago with two brake handles on each side, under the tops and in the front, not sure if they make those anymore. Here is a picture of some like them, they are not mounted but you can get the idea: http://i.stack.imgur.com/kfNWB.jpg

sittingbull

Veteran
I had a Raleigh bicycle about 25 years ago with two brake handles on each side, under the tops and in the front, not sure if they make those anymore. Here is a picture of some like them, they are not mounted but you can get the idea: http://i.stack.imgur.com/kfNWB.jpg

I had something near identical on 2 Raleigh Arena road bikes back in the 80's. I have since heard them referred to as "widow-makers" and can understand why.

sittingbull

Veteran
They reached the bars and could move no further before the pads were hard against the rim :eek:

....and the calipers/pads were set up correctly for the standard levers.

They were however preferable to dragging your shoe on the ground (marginally :laugh:).

daSmirnov

Most of my riding is on the hoods - where the brakes are accessible. Shouldn't need to go to the drops to use the brakes.

When I'm chillaxing I'll sit up on the top - not something I'll do near junctions / heavy traffic. For that very purpose of taking a second or so longer to brake. You can get some additional levers that are operable from the bar tops, but can't testify to how well they work.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Thanks guys, what a friendly community. I'll try this riding the hoods (i wasnt aware I could put my hands there :tongue:) as for the gears I will just have to practice for a while and if intolerable change them out for road bike shifters. thanks again.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Most of my riding is on the hoods - where the brakes are accessible. Shouldn't need to go to the drops to use the brakes.

When I'm chillaxing I'll sit up on the top - not something I'll do near junctions / heavy traffic. For that very purpose of taking a second or so longer to brake. You can get some additional levers that are operable from the bar tops, but can't testify to how well they work.

This.

I didn't use my road bike for commuting for the very braking reasons you state, but when I got used to riding on the hoods I felt a lot safer than on my MTB because the road bike is more responsive.

Maylian

Veteran
I have Shimano Triple integrated shifters/brakes on my commuter and can comfortably manage the brakes when on the hoods. Always more important to be able to brake than change gears in a tricky situation. If you hit something or something hits you for the want of reaching your brakes it won't matter in the least what gear you were in! I'd consider changing from Gripshift anyway much more suited to flat bars, but practice and vigilance will serve you well. Gez

Definitely this, priority should be braking. A few times I've come close to being unstuck because I was concerned about gear selection for pulling away and left braking almost too late.

As for confidence that comes with time for sure once you get the feel of the bike as they are a lot more nimble / agile that hybrids. You just have to be quite aware of the need for braking and giving extra room / space as brakes don't operate as well as the hydraulic disc brakes you get on hybrids / mtb's.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I stopped using drops after almost colliding with that land rover a few years ago,although you can get drops with additional brake levers.

Sorry if this has already been pointed out.:blink:

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Just went out for another spin, a bit more confident controlling the bike. I still "want" to have my hands constantly in the MTB position but I was quite happy with them on the hoods although you don't get as much power on the breaks as when in the drops. The saddle feels rock hard and painful but maybe this is because im not used to it and hills are agony (definitely because im unfit).

One part I still struggle with is if im going fast downhill then im in top gear and need to be in the drops to break hard at the end, this leaves me sitting at a junction in top gear but I will perceiver.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
One thing I guess should help me is that nearly all of my commute has either dedicated cycle lanes or bus lanes with not many buses in them so hopefully I should be able to get into the drops in top gear and just head down bash on.

nick.b

No its a new bike, is this just going to be impossible then? Am I going to have to change the shifters? Also when will the feeling that im constantly going to be killed by traffic go away? :smile:

ummm......

just kidding, you get used it it after a week or 2

Top Bottom