Just waiting now for the new steed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was given the go ahead for a new commuting bike if i cleared the stable a bit so i sold the subway drop bar conversion and a couple of the kids outgrown bikes .
Our company uses halfords c2w so i am limited to what i can get , i know i can use the LOC and various retailers but this is about the most bang for my buck and luckily my local halfords has a good mechanic who is a MTBer so i cant say i have ever had any serious issues with set up , and i am limited to a budget option anyway .
I wanted a drop bar bike with discs for all around commuting , in my budget of £450 (less the £200 i got for old bikes which went towards a new sofa) max i had a choice of the voodoo limba or carrera vanquish disc.So on our scheme im looking at £330 after final payment
The voodoo was a more of a cx style bike with a sub compact and a hefty 13.5 kg . the vanquish is listed as 10.5 kg with a standard compact but doesnt have upper rack mounts. Both bikes were out of stock and i was basically told to keep looking until they came into stock , thankfully this week the vanquish came into stock so i pulled the trigger leaving me with £50 for accessories so im thinking spare tubes, chains etc.
I have already got a seatpost clamp with a rack mount , mudgaurds and racks ready to fit and spd pedals
This will be used as an all year commuter , heck i have some 10 speed shifters in stock so if i get hold of a FD/RD im tempted to upgrade :smile:
1593877381563.png

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I used a Limba for a while and really rated it and certainly would look out for another one at the right price .

Hope you enjoy it @cyberknight

si_c

Guru
Nice :smile:

If doing an upgrade I'd suggest replacing the brake calipers with TRP Spyres - I'm not a fan of single sided mechanical calipers.

DRM

Guru
Something like that would be nice - I'd have gone with TRP Hy/Rds personally as they're really good. Be careful with those Juins though as they are for v-brake levers so won't work well with drop bar brakes.
They also do road specific ones too

DRM

Guru
more than my budget anyway
To be fair, the cheapest TRP Spyre I’ve seen is £55, but they’re usually around £70 for one calliper, with no mounts and no disc, where as the the Juin Tech kit has 2x callipers 2x discs, bolts for everything and the mounts, so it’s a pretty good deal by comparison, plus being cable operated hydraulic brakes will be better than a mechanical disc brake.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

To be fair, the cheapest TRP Spyre I’ve seen is £55, but they’re usually around £70 for one calliper, with no mounts and no disc, where as the the Juin Tech kit has 2x callipers 2x discs, bolts for everything and the mounts, so it’s a pretty good deal by comparison, plus being cable operated hydraulic brakes will be better than a mechanical disc brake.
ok so im stuck with stock , much as i like the idea its a no go

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Rather than worrying about what sort of brakes it's got, I'd be going out and getting a pair of Marathon Greenguards in the widest size that will fit considering you need to be able to reliably get to work on the thing.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Well its here and im happy with it but for the 1st time ever i had issues with the bike set up, the handlebars were not straight and the saddle was not level, mechanically sound but im glad i am competent in fettling.It really doesnt matter to me as i know hthey have a reputation as this is all about bang for my buck as its going to be pimped with rack, gaurds and maybe a saddle change before im done so it will be set up by next week

Despite the reputation, I would always let Halfords build it up, rather than ask for it boxed, because if something goes wrong it's on them to sort it. There's nothing to later to stop you doing a full strip down and rebuild to ensure every bolt it tightened and everything is greased and lubed correctly (strongly advisable). But if you boy it boxed, they can refuse to put a manufacturing fault right, blaming it on your build.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Despite the reputation, I would always let Halfords build it up, rather than ask for it boxed, because if something goes wrong it's on them to sort it. There's nothing to later to stop you doing a full strip down and rebuild to ensure every bolt it tightened and everything is greased and lubed correctly (strongly advisable). But if you boy it boxed, they can refuse to put a manufacturing fault right, blaming it on your build.
cant say i have ever had an issue before and i have had a few as im a serial c2w buyer as its the only way i can get a new bike past mrs ck .
I can let it slide as i am competent with fettling but if a new rider was given the bike it may have been disconcerting .

Top Bottom