Just watching the news about reviewing Cycling laws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You keep claiming that, but what's the source for it? They could be doing almost anything under the description of "whether dangerous cyclists should face the same consequences [as dangerous drivers]." (Jesse Norman, BBC interview)
The likeliest is that nothing will happen. There just isn't the legislative room for anything remotely controversial.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I just found this on the BBC website. I think it could be quite interesting if cyclists did have to take a test to ride on the road, and all adhered to taking Primary position in situations when that increases visibility and safety, and also to the bullet points under the photo of Boris. Most of the abuse I have had from car drivers is when I have taken Primary in such situations. Another thing Bikeability teaches is the pros and cons of cycling infrastructure (cycle lanes) and that they can make cycling more difficult and even more dangerous; riding off cycle tracks is another thing that has brought me abuse from motorists (even when they have been blocked by vehicles - local authority vehicles on one occasion).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41346237

Go for it I say. Have key elements of Bikeability built into a compulsory theory exam for the driving test as well (it is already taught to goods and passenger vehicle drivers under Safer Urban Driving, and is generally well received and often considered enlightening), we may all get along a bit better then.
Does thjis mean I'll have to dig out my Cycling Proficiency certificate and carry it around like a diving licence or will wearing the badge be sufficient?
18_1303910255_5381_300_300.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The likeliest is that nothing will happen. There just isn't the legislative room for anything remotely controversial.
Of course it's not impossible that a sensible Shadow Transport Secretary could offer to support a couple of minor and reasonably cosmetic changes to cycling law in return for the government actually making progress with tightening up driving law. The current Shadow secretary is apparently an ex-PI injury lawyer, so his bias will be towards victims rather than towards drivers (and his website suggest he's still biassed that way). Unfortunately he's also been involved with Headway according to wikipedia, so might have some strange ideas about the effectiveness of bike helmets.

Perhaps one of our Labour members could get their constituency reps to get a motion at conference next week?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Am I right in thinking Alleston would not have been convicted if he had a front brake?

A couple of years ago a boy stepped out in front of a van close to my house .

The boy died at the scene .Van driver was not charged presumably because his van was in safe and legal condition.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I hear what you are saying but I blame the nutter cyclists that give us all a bad name.
The "cyclists that give the rest of us a bad name" trope raises its head with all too depressing frequency, I've noticed. No, they don't give the rest of us a bad name, because they don't represent us in any way, any more than the nutter motorists give all other motorists a bad name, or the occasional loony pedestrian somehow stains the reputation of all pedestrians. This is simply a case of outgroup homogeneity.

oldstrath

Über Member
Sympathy with a bereaved husband and the desire to be seen to do something.
Hundreds are bereaved every year by car drivers and ignored, not given time on every available media outlet and praised to high heaven by the PM and senior rozzers. Briggs is a useful tool for those who wish to restrict cycling, and cheerfully complicit in it for his own goal of vengeance for his wife's accidental death.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Interesting discussion over on twitter at the moment. Ben Goldacre is clearly angry and is tweeting a series of news stories in which killer drivers get light sentences, while the Secret Barrister urges restraint and for him to treat bad legal reporting as he would bad science reporting.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Briggs is a useful tool for those who wish to restrict cycling, and cheerfully complicit in it for his own goal of vengeance for his wife's accidental death.
I heard Briggs interviewed yesterday. He is the exact opposite of the person you describe, articulate, reasonable and in no way out for any sort of revenge. He thought the increase in cycling was for the common good, both in environmental and congestion grounds and had nothing against cyclists as a group. All he was asking for is the law to be updated from the original 1861 act which is no longer fit for purpose. This knee jerk reaction against anyone who is not gushing in praise for everyone who rides a bike no matter what they do with it is both childish and pathetic.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
This knee jerk reaction against anyone who is not gushing in praise for everyone who rides a bike no matter what they do with it is both childish and pathetic.
His own reaction is knee jerk, however articulate he is his ultimate aim is to have more cyclists prosecuted more easily.

And as has already been said on here, it is not only focusing on a group that causes almost no problems, but a group that are killed and seriously injured by careless and dangerous motorists dozens of times every day.

We don't make laws to cover every conceivable wrong because almost always, as here, there is a more general law that can be used. Why would you waste precious parliamentary time on a problem that affects almost no-one.

Johnno260

Veteran
The news likes to demonise something, seems it's cyclists turn.

I can't count the amount of times I have defended cyclists in the past month.

The office I work in I get daily grief for being a cyclist, they insist we need to be taxed, and I can't make them see if they tax a cyclist, it will cost the general tax payer to legislate for something that will bring in zero income.

I said I have paid my right as a tax payer to use the roads with the VAT on my bike, clothing and maintenance.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A km/h limit in this country, really? Secondly, that's not legally enforceable, is it?
From November 2014--
BBC presenter Jeremy Vine caught speeding on his bike
Broadcaster Jeremy Vine has been stopped by police in London's Hyde Park for speeding on his bicycle.

The BBC Radio 2 presenter said he had been caught travelling at 16mph (25km/h) in a 5mph (8km/h) zone.

He apologised after an officer tracked his speed using a radar gun, but seemed not to agree with the speed limit.

oldstrath

Über Member
I heard Briggs interviewed yesterday. He is the exact opposite of the person you describe, articulate, reasonable and in no way out for any sort of revenge. He thought the increase in cycling was for the common good, both in environmental and congestion grounds and had nothing against cyclists as a group. All he was asking for is the law to be updated from the original 1861 act which is no longer fit for purpose. This knee jerk reaction against anyone who is not gushing in praise for everyone who rides a bike no matter what they do with it is both childish and pathetic.

In what way us the 1861 act " not fit for purpose"? Alliston breached it was convicted, and has been sentenced. What else must happen?

He clearly is articulate and reasonable sounding. I don't doubt that he is an intelligent man, nor do I doubt that he is grieving. But I do believe he is strongly motivated by a desire to blame someone or something, probably understandably, and that, whatever he says, or indeed believes, his campaign will be part of a process that will reduce cycling rates in this country.

No, I don't expect him, or anyone, to refrain from criticising Alliston and others who ride in the same way. But blaming all cyclists for what a few idiots do helps nothing.

Top Bottom