Justified being annoyed with Cheshire police?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Dangerous driving & should be prosecuted at such, but I can't see it happening, but I would be making a complaint to the Police & pushing it as hard as I could. I don't do Feacesbook & Twatter but I think I'd sign up for both & be posting that video wherever I could.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for the responses. Like I said I wasn't sure if I was being independent enough.
The insurance company know it was reported and they were provided with the incident number.
Despite optimism I may have harboured about a prosecution for failing to stop, the pessimist inside me suspected a driving course was the likely outcome and I wanted to make sure the driver didn't hide their actions from the insurers. What I hadn't expected was to have to fight the police to actually take action and then seemingly bugger it up.
I'lI see what can be done through the chain of command in the police.
As to my bruising, no there isn't a picture, but that was always a side issue. I suspect I will need some surgery on that hip this year for other reasons, so the discomfort from the hit was "lost" in the other stuff going on in it. My main concern was the driver's attitude. There was clearly no gap and as any driver who has hit a wing mirror knows, the sound is bloody loud in the car. - A point acknowledged by the PCs whom came to my house. So the driver must have known something had happened. It was obvious they didn't hit the lorry, which left one alternative, me. Some mea culpa at the time would have gone a long way, but they chose to drive off.
It sounds petty, but I think I will try to reclaim from the insurance company the £3 the MIB search cost me. Who knows, they might pay up and take it from the driver's policy?
Any search on the insurance database, flags up for the insurers.

As for the attitude of the police, it doesn't suprise me. I'd similar and had the officer offer copy of the pages their notebook as proof they never attended. All calls, recorded, said otherwise.

I think you may not have posted this if that car was 15cm further to the left, maybe from your bed at the hospital. If if was me I would talk with a shyster type lawyer with a what if conversation regarding a pain that seems to have developed and worsened after the collision. Normally during insurance settlements people visit St John Street in Manchester when they want to focus the minds of the third parties insurers into addressing a claim.
It sounds like there is no traction to be found with Cheshire Police but as almost all the others say you could go through the motions and see what happens. I don't see you finding justice but if you want to hurt him with the hope that he remembers next time he is about to roll the dice on somebody else's life then an injury claim might bring satisfaction.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As an ex police officer things like this annoy me a little. A member of the public comes in and drops an almost completed case on your table. Complete with evidence and you do nothing.
Policing is also about winning hearts and minds. If the officer had done his job and CPS then decided no further action. At least he would have tried. The police have no control over the CPS.
Unfortunately the op has to let this go. But I can see why he is annoyed.

Mrs M

Guru
That was a ridiculous pass, amazed you managed to stay upright!
Hope things are resolved to your satisfaction
xx

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Do *not* let this go.

The driver needs to learn there are consequences for a hit & run and the investigating officer needs to learn there are consequences for farking up a perfectly straightforward prosecution for careless driving, especially where a vulnerable road user was struck and injured.

I would tweet the sh1t out of this or, as @NorthernDave said, pass it to road.cc. All police areas now have a presence on Twitter and will react if there's a backlash. Just the other day Gloucestershire Police had to apologise and reopen an investigation where the cyclist's initial report was similarly dismissed but was then spread all over twitter.
(See https://road.cc/content/news/254485...nvestigation-after-cyclist-who-suffered-close )

This driver absolutely deserves prosecution and the investigating officer definitely needs to be further educated on his responsibilities.

D

Deleted member 26715

Unfortunately you don't look like you're going to get justice so just take him(or his insurance company) for everything you can.
Such as? OP has already said there was no damage to bike, he has no evidence of injury to himself. I fail to see what the insurance company will do

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'd be very peed off. They overtook dangerously close, hit you, failed to stop and failed to report.
Presumably there's a channel to escalate this?

It's a lottery with police sometimes.
They took NFA for this one: (saying "insufficient evidence")

tom73

Guru
I want to add to @NorthernDave and @glasgowcyclist have SM is powerful stuff get this all over it. It don’t take long for this to be picked up and extra coverage can't harm things. Organisations are now hot on image it don't take much for the PR dept to get in a flap. It's a hit and run someone has t learn its not on to just leg it. The driver that left Mrs 73 in cheep in the road was never found so police had to leave it. But this it's all to see and still they leave it that's another matter.

OP
OP
Bazzer

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
A complaint has gone into the police this morning. I have also told the insurance company of the police response and asked for reimbursement of the MIB fee in further bids to damage the driver's NCD.
I don't do Facebook etc., and am not a member of RoadCC (yet). I'll have a look over there later this morning.

Edit. Now submitted it to roadcc.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I'd be very peed off. They overtook dangerously close, hit you, failed to stop and failed to report.
Presumably there's a channel to escalate this?

It's a lottery with police sometimes.
They took NFA for this one: (saying "insufficient evidence")

He called him an idiot, what did he expect to happen.:wacko:

Top Bottom