Justified being annoyed with Cheshire police?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
@Bazzer Once it's out on the web someone will soon start sharing it anyway so not being on SM won't stop it doing the rounds. Save you going it if nothing else.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@Bazzer your probably just best leaving this, pop it on the web and forget it. As Skolly and I have said, we were both seriously injured and GMP did not respond with a slapped wrist as a minimum. Thank you're lucky stars you had bruises. Both Skolly and I could have been dead, or very close to being wheelchair bound. I'm currently having counselling to deal with the outcome of my accident - I'm still angry that the driver got away without any telling off and I have life changing permanent injuries, that not only has affected my physically, but mentally as well. I'm having to learn to let it go - 3 years after my accident.

You'll just eat yourself up. Maybe we should set up a vigilante group that goes round in the dead of night, and sticks a 'spud' up these drivers exhausts (the cars won't start properly - and it will be a bugger to diagnose)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So you don't mind being called an idiot? He just put the guy in his place, FFS.

If I've done something idiotic, as this driver did, then by all means.
Slightly worrying that you don't think there's anything wrong with the driver's behaviour, but I have no desire to hijack the thread, so might as well leave it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
If I've done something idiotic, as this driver did, then by all means.
Slightly worrying that you don't think there's anything wrong with the driver's behaviour, but I have no desire to hijack the thread, so might as well leave it.
There is no comparison between the two Vids, I can understand why the police did not follow up on the second vid, But the OPs vidio they should have nicked him without a doupt.

D

Deleted member 26715

Damage to one vehicle involved though.
But that was damage to the presumed owner of the car, they don't have to have it repaired

OP
OP
Bazzer

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
@Bazzer your probably just best leaving this, pop it on the web and forget it. As Skolly and I have said, we were both seriously injured and GMP did not respond with a slapped wrist as a minimum. Thank you're lucky stars you had bruises. Both Skolly and I could have been dead, or very close to being wheelchair bound. I'm currently having counselling to deal with the outcome of my accident - I'm still angry that the driver got away without any telling off and I have life changing permanent injuries, that not only has affected my physically, but mentally as well. I'm having to learn to let it go - 3 years after my accident.

You'll just eat yourself up. Maybe we should set up a vigilante group that goes round in the dead of night, and sticks a 'spud' up these drivers exhausts (the cars won't start properly - and it will be a bugger to diagnose)

@fossyant I know I was very lucky compared to you and @I like Skol and some others on here. And I came off better than the two previous times I was hit by cars; neither of which was my fault and both times the police wouldn't prosecute.
I think I am cross for two reasons.
Firstly, the driver not giving a stuff. Yes I know this is experienced by cyclists, commuters like me in particular, on a regular basis. But hitting someone with a car and then leaving the scene without any regard to what injuries may, or may not have been caused, to my mind crosses a further boundary; irrespective of whether it is me, another cyclist or a pedestrian.
Secondly, the attitude of the police, when something like this is handed on a plate. Various forces have implemented initiatives concerning bad driving, such as the ability to upload dash cam footage, but unless they take positive action with bad driving, then drivers will continue to flout the law. I think it was @Drago said on another thread, something along the lines of the way to enforce seat belt legislation would be to put a spike in the middle of the steering wheel. Drastic? Possibly, depending upon your point of view, but if law breaking driving is dealt with properly, with real consequences for the driver, then may be the roads would be safer for all users and not just those who are vulnerable.
It remains to be seen if today's emails have any effect. I have done what I can to make life more difficult for the driver, but I don't intend to let it eat me up.

Many thanks to those who replied to thread. The suggestions were helpful and it was useful to get the perspective of others.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
GMP pretend they are doing something, but aren't. I know one of the Manchester Wheelers is a police officer, and they got rather upset when I said their officers hadn't done a thing, and even when we complained to the Chief Constable (solicitors letter) they refused to pursue the matter further. The officer handling my case was 'obviously' anti cyclist - my wife spoke to him as I was in a bit of a bad way in hospital. GMP are shockingly bad. My solicitor said that in most of the cases, drivers were never prosecuted.

Don't let it eat you up, it's not worth it, just pop it, and the registration on you tube. Hey, how about the village's local facebook group ! Ours has caught a few idiots out - e.g group of lads throwing stones at a couple of elderly blokes. Parent's saw the post, recognised their kids, and were somewhat 'not very happy' - kids got a come-uppance !

boydj

Legendary Member
A claim on the driver's insurance for the fright and the pain inflicted by the driver is certainly justified and should cause some aggravation for the driver.

Twitter,using the vid and referencing the Cheshire Police account, Chris Boardman, who's from that area, and anybody else who might be relevant (e.g. Jeremy Vine) would certainly bring some embarrassment to the police and might goad them into action.

The vid is also a shoe-in for ROAD.CC's 'Near Miss of the Day' feature.

boydj

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5505582, member: 9609"]It is not often that phrase is used correctly - they really did nearly miss the cyclist[/QUOTE]

And it's already on ROAD.CC. That was very quick.

Top Bottom