Justifying buying a new bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Doubt anyone else has had this dilemma

On the contrary I think most of us have, let's face it your dream bike is rarely cheap, and if you're used to putting others first, it can be tough to "justify" a significant purchase for yourself.
But I can only echo what's been said above, if you can afford it, and if you love it, there's nothing to agonise over. Go and buy it and enjoy it! Most of us with the same dilemma eventually reached the correct decision after a bit of encouragement on here.

OP
OP
F

Falsesummat

Looking very likely that I'll buy one. Thanks for the universal positive comments everyone

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I currently have a George Lomgstaff compact audax, 1995 vintage. Triple Centaur chainset50,39,26 cassette, ten speed 13/26 , and Rivendell bar end shifters as the ergo shifters didn't synch with 10 Veloce that I fitted new in 2018. RX100 brakes.
The gears work as do the brakes and the bike is comfortable.
I have a cross bike fitted with shimano 7000 series 105, hydraulic brakes. The shifting and braking is superlative. SO, I'd really like a Fairlight Strael with Shimano 7000 / 105.
For allegedly better handling, definitely better shifting and braking and also greater tyre clearance from 28c to 36c without mudguards. I'm 60 and view this as my forever bike.
What should I do? Doubt anyone else has had this dilemma
Why do you have to justify it, if you want it buy it.

Will Spin

Über Member
You need a new bike, however if you are going to spend that sort of money why not buy a custom made hand built frame?

OP
OP
F

Falsesummat

The front mech on the Longstaff is a 2005 Campagnolo Centaur triple. Bike came with 53:42:30 chainset. Too high for me so bought TA chainrings from Spa cycles. Now 50:39:26 . Bar end shifters and no problem shifting.

hatler

Guru
The answer to the original question is obviously "Yes, but buy it now." Every day's delay is a day of delight postponed. How many days have you got left ?

Top Bottom