Kajsa Tylen: The Billie Dovey 81 miles a day progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A grand day out with Kajsa and Steve Abraham plus assorted lovely people whose names have trickled through my head like water through a sieve.

Started at Harpenden. Lunch in a Buckinghamshire town which I had hoped would be wild but which was actually Thame.

Back to Harpenden via a lovely sunset. A grand time was had by all. Later I ended up cycling aimlessly round the back streets of St Albans to top up my ton, stamp collector that I am.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Note that I think there may be another similar ride on Sat Dec 17th, but I'm not sure where - or even if - it will happen. I got that from Deborah, who organised Saturday's ride. I'm also aware that the night of 17th is a Fridays Saturday night ride. This could be challenging...

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Note that I think there may be another similar ride on Sat Dec 17th, but I'm not sure where - or even if - it will happen. I got that from Deborah, who organised Saturday's ride. I'm also aware that the night of 17th is a Fridays Saturday night ride. This could be challenging...
Thanks for inserting the missing letter. I was struggling before that.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The Dec 17th ride starts at the Lea Valley YHA at 08:30 and will be about 40 miles.

It’s organised by StrongHer, which as the name suggests is a women’s cycling organisation. But the ride is not a women only ride – the event explicitly states this.

I’ve put a FB link below, but it may not work and some people don’t like FB anyway, but hey … here it is.

StrongHer Go Kajsa Xmas Panto Ride https://www.facebook.com/events/1609506612677657/

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Started at Harpenden. Lunch in a Buckinghamshire town which I had hoped would be wild but which was actually Thame.
...and is in Oxfordshire!

(And the route does, comprehensively, prove that Some of Buckinghamshire is flat.)

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Steve Abraham shared A Year in the Saddle - Kajsa Tylen's 2016 Cycling WR Attempt's event.
1 hr ·
Well done to Kjasa Tylen who has just surpassed the Guinness World Record for the Women's Annual Mileage of 29,604 miles since January 1st. She still needs to do 1,400 miles to make up the 50,000km for Guinness to accept the record.
Kajsa has been riding stronger than she has done all year in the last few months with a solid 3 months of 100 mile+ days and still going strong in spite of worsening weather.
She expects to break the 50,000km before 11th December, when she invites everyone along to celebrate with a 12 mile ride around Nottingham.
More details in the link.

:okay:^_^:notworthy:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As Steve says, Kajsa has passed the Billie Dovey mark, but she needs 50,000km to get the Guinness record. As she replied on Twitter, "It won't be a GWR until 50,000km, but it's still a double scone day".

All the same, as Scoosh says, :notworthy:.

It's a remarkable achievement!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I was able to travel up to Nottingham yesterday, and decided to take a chance on catching Kajsa at the start of the day. Had I failed, I'd probably have gone for a ride in the Matlock area, so it was a win-win really.

A 100+ mile day when I had little or no idea where I was at any stage was a novel experience.

Having observed so many of Kajsa's usual rides on screen, it was illuminating, to say the least, to witness one first hand. I've always thought that her location isn't ideal for what she's doing, but my mental picture didn't do the reality justice. The daily fight she's faced to get in and out of the city must have robbed her of quite a few potential miles each day. She said she's rationalised it in her head so that in and out of the city is her commute to work; riding in the countryside is her work. That's fine, but the unproductive effort and mental strain are still there, day after day.

Kajsa is plainly way past the stage where she needs much support or encouragement, certainly not such as I could provide. But as a personal tribute to what she's accomplished this year, yesterday felt far more eloquent that anything I might write at the end of this week, not that I won't try.

Well done Kajsa. Be careful in the fog tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/793746460

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
A Year in the Saddle - Kajsa Tylen's 2016 Cycling WR Attempt
47 mins ·
Tomorrow I will (as long as no disasters - touch wood) hit my target of 50,000 km. This is the distance set by Guinness in order to claim the record. I will be streaming a live video on my Twitter feed through the Periscope app so my friends, family, and interested followers can share the moment. My Twitter name is @yearinthesaddle and the video will stream at some point close to 12 noon UK time.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
15241380_1274173859321993_5940804078305664415_n.jpg

A Year in the Saddle - Kajsa Tylen's 2016 Cycling WR Attempt
51 mins ·
Come to the official celebration!!!

13895589_1102659586475632_2632717499948321052_n.jpg
Cath Rodkoffto A Year in the Saddle 50,000 km celebration
5 hrs ·
This weekend's event is in just 3 more sleeps! It would be fabulous if some of the 'interested' folk turned into 'going'...

Here's a bit of a run down:

Venue:
Meet at the cycle track (keeping the main building to your left, walk up the drive past the building – you should be able to see it). Centre staff will be briefed to signpost you.
If the weather is terrible – go into main reception, there is a cafe area we can use (leave bikes at the bike parking outside)

Timings:
Bike Riders
12 miles, leaves at 10am. Very easy pedalling mostly (but not all) on traffic free routes. HH is on a hill so there will be a hill on the way back and also up to Wollaton Hall but nothing major). Suitable for all bikes. Bring suitable clothing, lights etc. Everyone rides at their own risk. This is a non-drop ride meaning very, very friendly and no one gets left behind
Non-Bike Riders
We expect the cyclists to return at about 11.15-11.30 so arrive for then.

Refreshments
Free teas, coffees, juice and cake will be provided by the HH team in the cafe area inside the building from 12-2pm

Choir
Ruddington Community Choir will be entertaining us from around 11.30am. Feel free to sing along. In fact, it’s compulsory!

Free Use of the Cycle Track
The track at HH is beautiful! 1.5km traffic free, perfect surface. This is free to use between 9.30am-2.30pm – just rock up. We would really encourage families to take advantage of this –trikes, stabilisers, scooters are positively encouraged!

Optional Extras
Cowbells (think Tour de France) to cheer off/greet the cyclists
Sleighbells for festive singing
You can get these through free phone apps so don’t spend any money!

And Finally...
Have a think about making a ‘sweat pledge’!

Really looking forward to seeing everyone and making this a celebration not just of Kajsa and her incredible achievement but of cycling in Nottingham!

Attachments

• 15241380_1274173859321993_5940804078305664415_n.jpg
    15241380_1274173859321993_5940804078305664415_n.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 40
  • 13895589_1102659586475632_2632717499948321052_n.jpg
    13895589_1102659586475632_2632717499948321052_n.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 37
Top Bottom