Kate Silverton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Is this really 2007? Can the creative powers that be in TV land not come up with a better premise than 'whimpering young maiden taken in hand by big strong bloke'? What's wrong with at least one of these programs being simpering bloke being taken in hand by confident, skilled, knowledgeable women? They exist you know!

What sort of message is this sending out to young people of either sex, especially women? All the hyperbole might be good armchair TV, but it's so over done that it must be making more youngsters think it's all out of their reach, rather than inspiring them to have a go.

The twisted message is compounded by dreadful editing, faked camera work and an over played use of phrases like 'all alone' when she's clearly surrounded by four TV and rescue craft. I should think the British Canoe Union is going berserk with all this, after the years they're spent trying to get across a more considered approach to not only safe sea kayaking but attainable access to their sport by all.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
I mean, I quite like Bill Turnbull, as you well knew, Mr Smart Alecs...:biggrin:

he's too old for you love xx(

Chris James

Über Member
- I suppose a woman was chosen because men will happily watch a pretty woman climb and women will be more interested in seeing another woman attempt the task rather than some bloke trying to be macho.

- I would have thought that the point of the programmes - i.e. beginners taking on and completing tasks they would have thought too tough for them -would be an objection to your argument that it puts people off by looking too tough.

- In the kayaing film one of the instrcutors was a man, but the free diving (or whatever you call it) instructor was a woman, so it wasn't the case that the whole programme was about a simpering woman being taken in hand by a strong man. In fact the kayaking film much was made of how her task was to go 'solo' (regardless of whether or not you include the safety boat!), so again, not being taken in hand by a man again.

- As far as simpering men are concerned, Tim Emmett, the climbing instructor, was just about the campist man I have seen on telly since John Inman.

- Finally you seem to contradict yourself a bit. One minute the show is offputting to people who will think it is all too extreme for them, next minute you are sugesting that the coasts around Britain will get a sudden influx of dangerous solo kayakers. Which one is it?

From a rock climbing persective it would have bneen nice if they had got Julia to lead a pitch and describe the difference between (and ease of) leading and seconding. But it would not have been so photogenic as she would never have been able to lead hard severe (or whatever the OM of Stoer is) on her third climb.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
Rubbish. No man (provided he has most of his faculties and preferably at least one leg) is too old for me...
:biggrin:
a one-legged university chancellor would fit the bill then (two legs a bonus).xx(

if he has one leg he could still ride fixed i suppose (too dangerous for bonj to contemplate), or get one of those rather dashing carbon fibre bike legs i saw on tv a few weeks ago.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I can't speak for women, but I don't understand why they wouldn't find seeing a competent, knowledgeable women in the instructor role just as inspiring. If you're worried about the 'totty quota', there's plenty who are good looking as well.

I agree with your comments about getting Julia to lead something. But the fundamental problem was having just one 'celebrity' involved. It restricted their ability to portray anything other than a dependency on 'the expert'. I think when they tried in the kayaking it was both ill advised and a con.

I know TV wants human interest and real life drama, but with all the resources deployed to make these programs, something a little more credible could have been produced.

Hopefully, the debate in the bars at the Kendal Mountain Film Festival may be more insightful of these productions than 'Cor, look at her wet suit !'

Chris James

Über Member
Judging by the response on UK Climbing I think you are indulging in wishful thinking Tim.

There seems to have been a sort of Julia Bradbury / Kate Silverton adoration club set up.

Personally I enjoyed both episodes and am looking forward to the caving one. I thought the canoeing one had a lot more obvious editing and thought the climbing one was quite a good portrayal of taking someone on their first outdoor climbs. I

Mr Phoebus

Beautiful and stunning scenery + Julia Bradbury. :biggrin::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

TVC

I'm with Noodley, without the slap you can see she has a blokes nose.

Ms. Bradbury on the other hand is someone I would gladly follow up a Lakeland Fell.

papercorn2000

Watch it Bennet! Don't want the bints getting ideas above their station! Next thing you know, they'll be demanding the right to vote!

I have pretty much no head for heights. I thought Julia Bradbury was rather brave. She's been good on the Wainwright's Walks series too.

Quite enjoying the Mountain series with Griff R-J as well.

Bit worried that I'm enjoying watching other people having fun in the outdoors from the comfort of the setee instead of doing it myself though! :biggrin:

sheddy

Legendary Member
If she was the same bint on the BBC breakfast news today, then she should have been given the sack for gigling like a schoolgirl while trying to present a news item

Noodley

Slightly off topic but - why is it that when "celebs" (I use the term only as I don't know what else to use) appear in these "adventure" shows and have to wear a safety helmet they always manage to have it at an angle?

Top Bottom