Kayaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And this is what I have
1.jpg

is sailing cheating?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I've been out both canoeing and kayaking on the lake today. Fantastic weather, light wind, couple of beers on the flat rocks... beautiful.

Helly79

I use to do kayaking when I was younger, I loved it and achieve my BCU 1st and 2nd star. The only thing I didn't like about it was when we had to do the capsizing drill. on the 2nd star we had to do a half an Eskimo roll where you have to use the end of someones kayak push down so you would roll into the water then pull your self up using the end. I didn't have very good upper body strength so ended up in the water quite a lot. I loved again the freedom of paddling down a quiet river but now as am old it too expensive so I cycle :tongue:

Andy84

Veteran
I was talking to my dad about kayaking last night.

I've got a kayak still sitting in my garden, I used to use it a lot on family trips to the beach etc when I was younger, however as I don't drive it's quite hard to get out and use it now.

I was asking him if he could give me a lift somewhere (kayak on roofrack) in the morning and pick me up later in the day, as getting a cab seems out of the question, he said he would happily do it but other than going to the coast, I wasnt really sure where I could go. With rivers / canals, are you allowed to just jump in or are permits needed?

If I was to go, it would most likely (if allowed) be on the smaller / quiter bits of the Thames maybe Kingston / Walton, places like that.

Helly79

Hi Andy 84,
I'm unsure if you need a permit you could contact these guyz http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/about/
the should be able to tell you. I would say you would need to know the rules of the river and I if you haven't been on the water for sometime then I would suggest not kayak on your own just in case you get into any difficult.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
lukesdad said:
You want to try rock hopping buggi its awesome!

what is that?

BrumJim said:
My wife wants me to start kayaking. My legs have got wonderfully fit, with more girth, harder muscles and more definition. However my upper body has remained weedy, pathetic and rather flabby. Was hoping that a lot of kayaking would improve the upper half too.

that's why i want to do it.

bianchi1 said:
Just a quick note to stop any confusion.

this is a kayak:
View attachment 6425

this is a canoe:
View attachment 6426

So if you go kayaking then get in a canoe something has gone a bit wrong!

That said both sports are amazing, but canoeing gets my vote.

ok, smarty pants, i know that... now :tongue:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Andy84 said:
I was talking to my dad about kayaking last night.

I've got a kayak still sitting in my garden, I used to use it a lot on family trips to the beach etc when I was younger, however as I don't drive it's quite hard to get out and use it now.

I was asking him if he could give me a lift somewhere (kayak on roofrack) in the morning and pick me up later in the day, as getting a cab seems out of the question, he said he would happily do it but other than going to the coast, I wasnt really sure where I could go. With rivers / canals, are you allowed to just jump in or are permits needed?

If I was to go, it would most likely (if allowed) be on the smaller / quiter bits of the Thames maybe Kingston / Walton, places like that.

Just be prepared for the aquatic version of "you don't pay road tax" from fishermen who believe that their rod licence gives them exclusive access to the canals and rivers.
I used to kayak regularly from Ironbridge to Bewdley down the Severn and probably got more abuse than on my cycle commute.

Bandini

I am going soon. My mate started going last year, and loves it. He is taking us down a stretch of the beautiful stretch on the moors.

bianchi1

Guru
ok, smarty pants, i know that... now ;)[/QUOTE]

I should hope I know, I'm doing a degree in it!!!!

( I still get them mixed up tho! )

al78

Guru
upsidedown said:
Just be prepared for the aquatic version of "you don't pay road tax" from fishermen who believe that their rod licence gives them exclusive access to the canals and rivers.
I used to kayak regularly from Ironbridge to Bewdley down the Severn and probably got more abuse than on my cycle commute.

Yes, my girlfriend mentioned something about that.

It is a pity we can't genetically engineer this tribal mentality out of humanity; it may have been appropriate in the hunter/gatherer days but I'm sure it causes far more problems than it solves in modern society ;).

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
bianchi1 said:
ok, smarty pants, i know that... now ;)

I should hope I know, I'm doing a degree in it!!!!

( I still get them mixed up tho! )[/QUOTE]

a degree in Kayaking???? i want to do that.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
bianchi1 said:
So if you go kayaking then get in a canoe something has gone a bit wrong!

That said both sports are amazing, but canoeing gets my vote.

Same here, but just to add that it's not quite as simple as that anymore. There are hybrids and in-between things: solo canoes that have curved in sides, so you can use a kayak paddle, and there are kayaks that are starting to look like strange canoes... and then there's paddleboards... and probably other things too!

We are going to get one of these sometime soon. John Winters is a genius of contemporary canoe design.

Top Bottom