Keep coming off my road bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

axwj29

Of course reading the road and being prepared for what's ahead comes with experience, as does confidence. When we start to feel confident it's easier to be prepared for what's ahead.. Just a learning curve I guess.

nobbyp

I went spd at Xmas

2 off's both at less than walking pace due to brain wandering off and completely forgetting I was attached

I only have my half wit brain to fault so sticking with them as I really notice the difference particularly pm short sharp inclines where I get out of saddle and can feel the effect of pulling the pedal up.

If being clipped in worries you go flat. If your roadie worries you go hybrid. Just enjoy being on any bike that works for you

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Of course reading the road and being prepared for what's ahead comes with experience, as does confidence. When we start to feel confident it's easier to be prepared for what's ahead.. Just a learning curve I guess.
And then there's another problematic part of the curve, where you get a bit arrogant...

Many flat pedal users are quite confident that they don't need to be clipped to the pedals ;)

axwj29

And then there's another problematic part of the curve, where you get a bit arrogant...

Many flat pedal users are quite confident that they don't need to be clipped to the pedals ;)

Hmm... yes it's really arrogant to come on to a forum and admit to multiple moments of failure isn't it... Just because you choose flats doesn't make someone else arrogant because they're finding that a bit of time and experience leads to more confidence with clipless. Each to their own :rolleyes:

Trickedem

Guru
On my first mountain bike with spds my kids used to ride deliberately slowly in front of me so I would fall off. (They told me this years later). I had the spds set far to tight on reflection. I would second the advice to get multi release cleats and have them very loose. I love spds now, simply because it ensures my feet are in the right place on the pedal.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
It's also a fear of mine going up hills and losing momentum! I'm going to have to persevere with them as the shoes alone cost me £180. Will get there - bike so till in the shop being mended but am hoping to have it back on Saturday and going out on it. I'm also starting spinning to get my cardio fitness back.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I fell a few times after going clipless. I lost confidence and became very apprehensive of using spds. But believe me, it becomes second nature eventually.

Top Bottom