Keep coming off my road bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
So mountain bike 2 bolt cleats?
Learn something new, didn't know one could get carbon soled spd shoes as opposed to road spd-sl 3 bolt shoes

shimano-spd-cleats.jpg

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-m20c-carbon-mountain-bike-cycling-shoe/

Attachments

• shimano-spd-cleats.jpg
    shimano-spd-cleats.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 31

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I got back on a bike five and a half years ago after a lifetime of relative sloth. I rode a quite lightweight hybrid for a couple of years and loved it. Then some kind of MAMIL/OMIL vanity overtook me and I bought a road bike. It wasn't outrageously expensive and it had SPDs. I went down like a sack of potatoes within six minutes of trying them out, and a few times after that too, but strangely, I just giggled and bounced luckily. There was always that "Oh sh#t! Here we go" second and a half between when the adrenaline kicked in and hitting the tarmac laterally. What I found really hard was the riding position and the steering. I was all stretched out, my neck hurt, and I didn't have the confidence to nip about in traffic. The steering just felt hopelessly twitchy, even at very low speeds. Six months after buying it, I really did consider going back to a hybrid but I got a bit more flexible and confident and gradually learned to love it. A lot.
Good luck.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm always puzzled by the remarks around clipless making it easier to get your foot in the right place and keep it there. Not only is this not a problem I've experienced with flats but I also enjoy being able to move my foot on longer rides, I tend to move my foot forward a bit on long hills.

Some of the MTB videos I've watched seem to show people having no trouble with their feet on their flat pedals....maybe they just practiced until it was second nature, like riding a bike:whistle:

outlash

also available in orange
Those shoes aren't £180 specilaized ones

Indeed, I'm thinking the OP paid RRP and then some if they're £180 shoes that'll take a SPD cleat. I deliberately bought shoes that could take both 2 & 3 bolt cleat systems as I wasn't sure which ones to go for at the time and they're very few and far between (Shimano mainly).

To the OP, stick with it, it'll come with time and confidence. Having that essential ability to see what's going to happen (or at least try to guess) 1-2 seconds ahead will only come with experience being on the road and riding. Having the pedal mechanism as loose as possible and picking out some nice quiet roads will help you a lot.

Tony.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Those shoes aren't £180 specilaized ones

I can assure you they cost me £180

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have a link to them, just trying to determine what cleats you have, 2 or 3 bolt to offer solutions to the U clipping. The sh56 are spd cleats, not for road shoes typically

outlash

also available in orange
If they're SPD-SL, I guess the way forward is to loosen the cleat mechanism on the pedal as much as possible and get the cleats that give you the most amount of float (movement), the yellow ones IIRC.

Tony.

Top Bottom