Keep getting punctures, Help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CycleChris

Hello to all on the cycle forum, I'm new so this might sound like an easy question to answer but I'm clueless.
Bought a hybrid a while bk for a 18mile round trip to and from work, the bike cost 450, but it seems every 3 to 4 trips I get a puncture, on the bk wheel very frustrating, man at halfords who does seem to know his stuff says just bad luck and the tyres on the bike are decnt, but I spoke to someone else who said could be tyres, the journey is mainly on country roads which are smooth apart from a few bumpy bits, and a bit of flint on the sides of road, the puntures are varied as well, although the last one looked as if the wheel rim had sliced the innertube, can anyone help with advice because its costing me more in inner tubes than would petrol, really enjoy cycling but if keep getting punctures will have to not bother with commute.

Thanks,
Chris

grhm

Veteran
Are the punctures all on the outside of the tube - or on the sides/inside. Not sure from your description, but you might have an issue with dodgy rim tape exposing a sharp spoke - or a sharp bit on the inside of the rim.

I'd suggest taking the bike to a decent LBS (local bike shop) and not halfords (soe are ok but it depends on the staff and you said...). They ought to do able to offer an opinion on the state of your tyres.

adds21

Rider of bikes
I've found that Slime helps a lot. You can, I think, add Slime to standard inner tubes, or buy inner tubes with slime pre-installed (as I have). These are what I use. So far I've had them for about 500 miles, and haven't had a puncture yet. I had about 5 punctures per 100 miles prior to using them (I'll obvously get a puncture on the way home now ;)).

I've seen others here swear by Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. I was all set to get a pair if the Slime didn't work.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Are the tyres properly inflated? If not its easier for the sharp stuff to penetrate apparently.

(Would agree that Marathon's might save you having to repair all those tubes and also that not being late factor too).

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Next time you get one, try to work out where on the tube its happening. If its on the outside edge, it can probably be solved by more protective tyres (marathons, etc) or correct inflation (higher is normally better). Check your tyres for anything pointy sticking through before refitting.

If its on the inside, it could well be a spoke end, or something wrong with the rim. Again, run a finger around and check for anything pointy. Consider that a loose spoke under load may poke into the tube.

Whatever happens, when you next re-fit the tyre, make sure you line the manufacturer's mark up with a known place on the rim (ie, the valve). Getting this many punctures all on the back is rare enough, but if you also happen to find they always occur on the same section of tube, you can then begin looking at that specific part of the wheel / tyre.

Oh, and +1 for the LBS over the "very frustrating [...] man at halfords" :sad:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yes, check the tyres and wheels for possible cause, and keep the tyres pumped up well to avoid pinching the tube in the rim. The best way to check for sharp protrusions is of course to run your fingers round the inside of the tyre, and the rim. Sod's law says that the less carefully you do this, the more likely you are to find the cause, by slicing your finger on it...

Of course - it COULD just be bad luck, coincidences do happen. However, with them all being on the back, I'd suspect the tyre or wheel - if you were having bad luck with thorns or flints, I'd have thought the front would cop it as well.

bonj2

The way I avoid getting punctures is always ride on the road, never a cycle 'path', and preferably not right in the gutter at the side of the road, but a bit away from the kerb, i.e. where the cars go.
This aswell as being safer, means you are always riding on surface on which cars have driven. Constant use of a road by cars tends to perform the very useful service of generally sweeping the road of debris that would remain on a cycle path.
Oh, and tyres generally tend to lose their resistance to punctures as they get old and worn, so if your tyres are a bit old and worn, change them - this might help.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Good point about the road debris, the dust and grit at the side of the road can hide all manner of broken glass etc...

grhm

Veteran
I'd not spotted that you said it always happens on the back wheel. I think that points to something wrong with that wheel or tyre. Check really thoroughly for something sharp in the tyres on inside the wheel.

If you've still got the old tubes - try to see if you can spot a pattern. Are they are punctured in the same place? If so that ought to point out where the problem is.

(Oh and welcome to the forum by the way :sad:)

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
i had a similar problem when i first got my hybrid and it was due to some really naff thin rim tape allowing the tube to bulge into the spoke holes in the rim. changed it and the problem went away. ;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Are the p*nct*res single holes in the inner tube or two holes (looks like a snake bite)? If it is the latter this would be due to the tyres being under inflated. Best to get a track pump with a gauge and keep the tyres well inflated, close to the max pressure (usually stated somewhere on the tyre).

OP
OP
C

CycleChris

Thanks to everyone for your great advice, one thing I can say is that my tyres are always inflated to the top 120psi I think, and I have a track pump to check, all the other things I will be checking out to try and find the reason, its good to hear this is unlikely to be coincidence, I was beginning to think I was riding on the most cursed 9miles in england haha!
It will be great to ride to work without getting a puncture twice a week.
Thanks again,
Chris

Randochap

Senior hunter
120 psi is a tad high. This actually may be your problem.

Most flats will usually occur on the rear wheel. Try to discover if they are pinch flats, cased by hitting potholes, etc. or, as others have said, a faulty rim tape or other problem with rim ... or if you have indeed been unlucky. I ride year round and usually count on about 2 flats in that time.

Top Bottom