Keeping bike in living room

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

krisgoss

Hi guys, I realize that there are a few similar threads, but need help with a specific problem:
I sold my bike in the winter due to not riding it - as me and mrs live in 2 bed house with no garage or shed - I had to keep bike in light carpeted living room so couldn't take it out in dodgy weather.

I am desperate to get another bike now, but am still in same situation. What devices can be used to keep the bike separate from the carpet? Was thinking something along the lines of a really shallow plastic storage box (something with base and a lip to stop water running off)

What do you lot use? Anything you can recommend?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Get rid of the carpet, sand and varnish floorboards. :thumbsup:

Pauluk

Undo the stem clamp and spin the handle bars and fit folding pedals, slid into thin box but shake well before going in :laugh:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Laminate flooring, any muck just wipes of, i will not post pic again but it's in a few other threads.^_^

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You could use one of them plastic table clothes, i think you can buy it by the metre from hardware shops, easy to wipe over.

snorri

Legendary Member
Measure length and breadth of bike, ie the area that any drips might drop from when bike is leaning against the wall. Buy a piece of plywood to match the measurement and some some lengths of 1cm x 1cm (or similar) wooden strip to fix round the edge of the ply to prevent any oily water from being accidentally wiped on to the carpet. Varnish ply with yacht varnish to give it a 'wipe clean' surface. It might be worth attaching a piece of ply on to the wall also to lean the bike on rather than leaning it directly on the wall decor.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
large carpet off-cuts could work quite well as a near invisable mat, we use one as a kind of door mat for the patio :smile:

OP
OP
krisgoss

krisgoss

Measure length and breadth of bike, ie the area that any drips might drop from when bike is leaning against the wall. Buy a piece of plywood to match the measurement and some some lengths of 1cm x 1cm (or similar) wooden strip to fix round the edge of the ply to prevent any oily water from being accidentally wiped on to the carpet. Varnish ply with yacht varnish to give it a 'wipe clean' surface. It might be worth attaching a piece of ply on to the wall also to lean the bike on rather than leaning it directly on the wall decor.

I like the sound of this! Great idea, maybe combined with MrJamie's idea, or a vinyl carpet protector lining and I could be on to a winner!
A nice little project to keep me busy one rainy Saturday!

Thanks for the help so far guys! ^_^

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Bike in the bathroom? But you first need to get it there without dripping :smile:
Maybe the landlord would replace the flooring with something more suitable? Asked him?
Or the cheap mat/rug, as others said.
I think any plastic (or even linoleum) on top of the carpet would rip eventually, also would be a trip hazard.

Top Bottom