Keeping local dialects alive.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@Fnaar

The reason I looked up this thread is that I was having a trawl around the internet but came up with nowt.

I was listening to Radio 5 the other week, they were talking about government cuts, they did vox pops in Warrington.

“I‘M worried about menkal health, I work in menkal health “

Not only did it make me chuckle, it got me thinking about - gardin, peggles, chimbleys etc.

This was fairly common in 70’s/80’s Ellesmere Port. Is this just regional, and does it have an official name other than lazy & uneducated?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The other day I was talking to a bloke who's accent seemed Birmingham, maybe black country ish. Yes I know they/you don't like being thought of as the same @shep.:okay: Thinking I was being clever I asked if he was from around there. No he replied, I'm from Warrington.:blush:

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb
One of the class teachers in the last school I taught at said that one of her main problems was getting the kids to spell Chimney without a B in it

"B"???

Yup - common local pronunciation sounds like "chimbley" so the kids often spelt it like they said it

I was once in the ‘hills’ around the Jackson Bridge/Holmfirth area, got lost, & asked for directions

I had trouble understanding the old boy, l asked, due to seemingly a very local vernacular

I get called ‘posh’ as l speak (l guess the phrase is) ‘correctly’?
I think l still have a (West) Yorkshire accent

As for the ‘Dee-Dars’, in Sheffield (Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire), that’s another tale!

It does vary a lot

My Niece (by marriage) thinks I am VERY posh
If I want to freak her out I just have to swear - she is very used to swearing in a local or Scouse accent but her 'posh Unclde Mike" swearing if just too freaky for her

on a closer subject to the topic - by Dad grew up near Aintree race course (actually on Melling road)
He had two best friends but one had emigrated to South Wales many years before I was born - he was actually Mayor of Swansea I think

Anyway him and his wife cam upt o visit sometimes
as soon as they got together my Mum and his Wife lost contact totally as they reverted to the language they used as kids and neither women could understand what they were going on about

One time they all went to HArry Ramsden's in Liverpool (dunno if it is still there) and their waiteress was a very rough Scouse woman - who was also very pregnant
Apparently a conversation went on about whether anyone wanted a Wally - my Mum was totally mystified especially as some of the variation seemed to be potentially rude (which was probably totally deliberate) - but no accents involved - just different words

Seevio

Guru
While at university, an Aardman short film was shown on tv.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps0hy1j4g3s

Ok, so the main character has a south gloucestershire accent but I didn't think it was too bad.

I still had to translate for my flatmates. (From Tonteg, Evesham, Hanley & Morpeth)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
An old chap in the pub had to had to have a different pint as his usual beer was off. I mentioned this and he said - tizwetnjussthesame-ennet.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A Manchester (UK) accent doesn't work well in Texas! :okay:

A Mancunian friend of mine goes to Texas every winter. He doesn't like American beers much but discovered that a local bar serves a very tasty porter. American friends bought him the first few but he struggled to make himself understood when he tried to buy a round. In the end he had to spell the word out ...

Mancunian Brit: "P-O-R-T-E-R - PORTER"

Texan barman: "Ah, yeah - PODDA!"

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't hold much hope for the English language, let alone regional variation :laugh:
I note the BBC mention up post, someone's pronunciation was 'too posh. Seems to me you haven't got a chance getting a job there unless you speak that awful conglomeration of accents between Essix, (yes that was deliberate) and some weird wide mouth 'laiiik' for like, dropped t's and h's and f's, a complete fubar'd mess of pronunciation. I hear kids using it, adverts are minging with it...
I tend to think I retain a slight Nottingham nasal draw, but I do try to speak clearly. The head of production said to me the other week....'you have one of those lovely clear ways of speaking, no accent at all'. She was really quite complementary, surprised me, coming from someone who's clearly had a very good education.

Cerdic

A few (quite a few now?) when Christopher Eccleston was Dr Who, didn't the lead female tell him that he sounded like he was from 'the North'

"Lots Of Planets Have A North" was the reply??

Yes. When he told Rose who he was she replied “If you’re an alien how come you sound like you’re from the north?”

And the Doctor said “lots of planets have a north…”

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Being a RAF kid I moved about a bit so got exposed to a lot of accents. While I’m gash at foreign languages I’ve an ear for regional variations.

Both my parents are from Manchester, but Pa B was from the south of the city and Ma B from the north, so their accents are quite different.

I did a chunk of growing up in the London suburbs where I was ‘a bit norvan’. The City kit didn’t help to be sure. When I was 13 we moved to Northumberland, where they regarded anyone from south of Durham as a ‘cockney’, so I was far more conspicuous than any 13 year old boy wants to be at a new school.

A few months on and I could pretty much pass for an Alnwick local if it was going to avoid a kicking. On top of fear, it’s where I really learned to really listen out for accents. The most fascinating aspect of the local accents was that there was a split by profession as much as geography. The old-boy fishermen around Boulmer and Craster had a very different delivery (faster, harder on the ‘r’s) than the local farmers. An outsider would probably be able to follow a farmer’s chat, but the fishermen would need subtitles if you weren’t used to it.

After leaving the RAF Ma and Pa B moved to a village near Lincoln and my mum in particular has picked up a lot of the dialect over the years. I‘ve certainly heard her use a few of the words in @Gixxerman ’s OP.

My daughter is born and bred Winchester and pretty much sounds like an elocution coach.

Top Bottom