Keeping old SRAM X7 trigger shifters going

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmtfd

Hi all

Anyone have any idea how to tighten the large hex bolt shown in the picture below? It just spins without tightening (the other shifter is fine). There's an old thread on another forum (https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12801871) which suggests that tightening this bolt will sort out the problems I've been having with the large lever (play and sometimes not springing back after shifting). I've had no luck with the technique suggested in the post below.

"My X7 shifters have had this lever return problem before. For me it also seemed to happen when a small amount of play developed in the large paddle over time, i.e. you could slightly wiggle the large arm up and down vertically. Initially I found that turning the hex bolt on its own did nothing; it turned OK but never actually tightened the paddle arm to remove the play. However when I used a small screwdriver to apply slight pressure to the inner mechanism via the cable replacement hole, it allowed some purchase when tightening the hex bolt at the same time. Once the hex bolt tightened and the lever play was removed, the return mechanism worked like new. Sorry if I'm not explaining that very well but this solved my lever return problem and avoided having to dismantle the shifter (which a lot of people say is a nightmare to put back together again)."

Cheers

Gareth

IMG_5945.JPG

D

Deleted member 26715

First of all let me say I don't know the answer, somebody who does will hopefully be along soon. But the hex countersunk screw must screw into something, so logically there are 2 options, ether it screws into a captive thread, which if it's just going round & round it means likely the thread had stripped. Or it goes into a nut, which is spinning along with the screw as you turn, IF this is the case then can you get to the back of it, by maybe undoing the 4x hex cap heads? Alternatively rather than turning the larger one slowly try using small sharp fast movements that may get the screw to tighten in the nut.

OP
OP
G

gmtfd

Many thanks for the reply Phaeton. Unfortunately, as of yesterday, this bike has been stolen. Which is a bit gutting, but at least means I now have no excuse not to buy a new MTB!

Top Bottom